Memaloose Lake and South Fork Mountain 061718

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Memaloose Lake and South Fork Mountain 061718

Post by Don Nelsen » June 18th, 2018, 10:14 am

I needed a recliner hike Sunday so this little 5 miler fit the bill. (For some unknown reason I was a bit tired yesterday!) Old growth forest all the way (except at the very top), beautiful views, cool air and a scenic lake. No bugs either - what a deal, plus, we had it all to ourselves except for meeting a nice young couple and their two children a short distance before we got back to the car.

This looks like a very old trail but well maintained and with a nice soft tread. I wished I had known about this one 35 or 40 years ago as I would surely have taken my two kids up here to camp. The distance is just about right for little ones and a nice lake filled with newts for them to watch. The lake is shallow, too, so no worries about them falling into deep water.

If one could figure out the maze of logging roads, you could actually drive to the top of the peak but no one was there when we explored it. A nine mountain view, too! The usual suspects, St. Helens, Rainier, Adams and Hood, and to the south, Jefferson, TFJ, Washington, North Sister and South Sister. If the sky was clearer, one could probably make out Broken Top and South Sister too.

"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

justpeachy

Re: Memaloose Lake and South Fork Mountain 061718

Post by justpeachy » June 19th, 2018, 7:20 am

Nice! I haven't been up there in awhile because of the road closure. I assume that Memaloose Road is still closed and you had to come the alternate way?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2018, 10:26 am

justpeachy wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 7:20 am
Nice! I haven't been up there in awhile because of the road closure. I assume that Memaloose Road is still closed and you had to come the alternate way?
Cheryl, Thanks for the comment. As far as I know, the road (FR 45) is still closed a few miles south of where it starts along the Clackamas River. I came in from the other side via Hwy 211 and then Hillockburn Rd. and finally on to the other end of FR 45. This is not too much farther, and the road, for the most part is fine. About 14 miles of gravel, but well graded and few potholes.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 19th, 2018, 10:38 pm

They must have regraded it, thank goodness, as FR-45 near Goat Mountain was pothole hell last fall.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 20th, 2018, 5:47 am

Wow Don - you must have a high tolerance for potholes! :lol:

I was up that way a few weeks ago, and some of the road is good, but a lot of it has terrible potholes (at least from my perspective). The game is how to avoid the holes as you drive. Every year it just keeps getting worse. It isn't much farther than coming from 224, but it feels farther due to all the potholes.

Weird thing - a few weeks ago we were driving down 224, and the gate at Memaloose was closed. On the way back, the gate was OPEN and a car was up Memaloose (45) road! We were hoping that maybe they were opening the road back up, but every time since then the gate has remained closed. Sadly, from what I understand, it is probably going to remain closed for quite some time. I guess the beginning of that road goes thru BLM land and there is some kind of "turf war" between the FS and BLM - fingers pointed in both directions about "hazard trees".
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 20th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 20th, 2018, 9:07 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 5:47 am
I was up that way a few weeks ago, and some of the road is good, but a lot of it has terrible potholes (at least from my perspective). The game is how to avoid the holes as you drive. Every year it just keeps getting worse.
:(

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

RobFromRedland wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 5:47 am
Wow Don - you must have a high tolerance for potholes! :lol:

I was up that way a few weeks ago, and some of the road is good, but a lot of it has terrible potholes (at least from my perspective). The game is how to avoid the holes as you drive. Every year it just keeps getting worse. It isn't much farther than coming from 224, but it feels farther due to all the potholes.
There is a long section of road that looks like it was regraded in the past few days starting right where the pavement ends.. There is also a huge pile of gravel that is dumped off to the side of the road at that point. None of the remaining potholes were a problem but as you said, the game is to avoid them, such as they are.

dn

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 21st, 2018, 10:54 am

Now I'm happy again. :)

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 21st, 2018, 2:54 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
June 21st, 2018, 10:27 am
There is a long section of road that looks like it was regraded in the past few days starting right where the pavement ends.. There is also a huge pile of gravel that is dumped off to the side of the road at that point. None of the remaining potholes were a problem but as you said, the game is to avoid them, such as they are.
That IS good news! Thanks for sharing it!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson