Butte Camp Dome Loop Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
JohnFrancis

Butte Camp Dome Loop Hike

Post by JohnFrancis » June 17th, 2018, 9:20 pm

This is such a great hike, and the hiking notes were very helpful.

There was a quite a bit of snow over the trail at places as you approach the Toutle Trail/Sheep Canyon trail junction. There was substantially more snow on the trail for about two miles down the trail, on the Loowit/Butte Dome Trail side.

The ravine crossing, using the ropes to scramble down, and back out, which comes about 8 miles into the hike, was a challenge. I hiked the Toutle Trail/Sheep Canyon/Loowit direction, and I think if I did the hike again, I would go the opposite direction; making the ravine crossing a touch easier.

One tough part was about a mile from the TH, the trail passes over a ravine/washout and gets pretty lost. Trail markers were few, but look for a few strands of red tape where the trail starts again; this is about a quarter-mile walk down the washout.

Definitely a 5-star hike. Thank you So much for all the hard work by those that maintain the loop trail.

lisina

Re: Butte Camp Dome Loop Hike

Post by lisina » June 18th, 2018, 6:51 am

Thanks for this report. I'm considering doing the Loowit Trail this weekend and have been wondering what snow conditions are like on the SW side of the mountain. From your report I'm wondering if maybe this isn't a good weekend for it if there's still a lot of snow on the Loowit between Butte Camp and the Toutle River. Based on what you were hiking in would you think it's better to wait for a little more snowmelt? Thanks!

nsutherl

Post by nsutherl » June 18th, 2018, 8:47 am

Thanks for the snow update. I'm also planning a Loowit circumambulation in the coming weeks and am curious if you or anyone else here has specific feedback on whether or not they think the trail is clear for the loop. Thanks!

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 18th, 2018, 12:18 pm

lisina & nsutheral

If you are planning to do the loop, water is a big concern. All those blue lines on the south side of the mountain that are on the map? Not even a damp spot in the cinder, with a few exceptions.

I hiked the section between June Lake & Ape Canyon Saturday. At around 4,000 feet there were a couple of steep snow banks. Also, it is likely still difficult to climb the ridge on the west side of the Muddy River. Otherwise, the trail was in good condition. I have to assume it is clear heading west from June Lake, because there were too many cars in the parking area for the people I saw, so have to assume they headed west.

You are however, kind of caught logistically. Because of the cinder & rock nature of most of the route, water can be a real problem, so you don't want to wait for all the snow to melt out. The only open water I found was in the Muddy River and a trickle from a snow bank about 1 1/2 miles west. There should be water at the crossing just west of the June Lake Trail junction.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

JohnFrancis

Post by JohnFrancis » June 19th, 2018, 3:08 pm

The Loowit portion of the loop was effectively clear. But south from the Loowit/Butte Dome Jct., and about a mile or so, there was a lot of snow. Honestly, if I hadn't been able to follow some tracks on the Toutle/Sheep Canyon side where I started, I would have had to turn back as the trail disappears extendedly under 3-4ft of snow in many places.

lisina

Post by lisina » June 20th, 2018, 10:31 am

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to attempt the Loowit this weekend, but will go clockwise so that if snow is an issue (especially coming off Crescent Ridge to the Toutle) I can easily revise the plan. Hoping the big washout gully south of Sheep Canyon will be passable by a short person going solo! I did the loop a couple years ago in the other direction and made it through okay...

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 20th, 2018, 9:35 pm

When i did the loop a few years ago, the only water was at the Toutle River, the waterfall outlet stream (extremely silty - not recommended), the spring just before ascending the Windy Pass clockwise, and the Ape Canyon watering hole (south end of the Plains of Abraham).