GoalTechHikes Clackamas River Tr - "First time in Clackamas" 061618

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

GoalTechHikes Clackamas River Tr - "First time in Clackamas" 061618

Post by mjirving » June 17th, 2018, 3:16 pm

2018.13 - Clackamas River Trail
“1st time in Clackamas” 

(PLEASE CORRECT MY FLOWER NAMES IF INCORRECT)

6/16/18
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Miles: 8.3
Time: 3 hrs, 50 min
Avg MPH: 2.3
Elev Min: 920’
Elev Max: 1,400’
Total Ascent: 1,550’
Total Descent: 1,840’
Elev Change: +580’
Steps: 16,000
Flights of Stairs: 105
Time Up: 3:15am
Sleep Hours: 4:30
Start Time: 5:30
Temp Low: 55
Temp High: 60
Other hikers: 6
Male:Female hikers: 67%/33%
Longest time without seeing a hiker: 3:00
Wildlife: Salamanders, Birds, Bear Evidence, Snail
Parking Permit Required: NW Forest Pass at Fish Creek
Parking Lot: ~40 cars (Fish) ~10 Indian Henry
Bathrooms: Pit Toilet (Fish) Bathrooms at campgrounds

Clackamas River * Pup Creek Falls * The Narrows * Half Cave

Opening Shot: 100', triple tier, Pup Creek Falls

As we get close to the summer solstice, my daybreak hikes are getting awfully early! I departed home this morning at 3:30am and arrived at Indian Henry Campground, up the Clackamas River, at 4:45am to meet my buddy “Clark Kent” for the hike. (I gave him this trail name on a hike last year as he always seems to be changing clothes to different layers). 

We shuttled back down to the Fish Creek Campground to start our hike at 5:30am. It was no surprise that we were the only ones there. We started up the trail on the right side of the Clackamas River as we made our way up-river.

This is the first time I’ve hiked in the Clackamas area, so I was looking forward to it. The trail was great in the old-growth forest, with almost constant views of the river. We saw several salamanders in the trail along the way.

There weren’t a ton of wildflowers, but there was quite a variety. Up first was the Columbia Tiger Lily, one of my favorites.

I also found a snail in the trail. I reached quick for my camera as he raced away from me!

Columbine, just at the end of its run.

Serrulate Penstemon

There were lots of big, tall trees along the way with the river in view. This was a common view.

Coastal Manroot

Maidenhair Fern

Rosaceae

Wild Rose

Daisy

Along the way there were a few cable crossings with trolleys. I'm not sure what they're used for or who can use them? Maybe to get supplies to the camps without having to hike them all the way around??

Yarrow

Bluehead Gilia (first time I've seen this flower)

Rhododendron

The trees were amazing…like lodgepole pine made from Doug Fir.

We took the 0.2 mile spur trail up to the 100’ Pup Creek Falls which was well worth it! It was a beautiful 3-tier waterfall.

Here is a video clip of it from the bottom,
Pup Creek Falls from Michael Irving on Vimeo.

and one from the top of the first tier.
Pup Creek Falls - Middle Tier from Michael Irving on Vimeo.

There was a section in the middle that was under the power lines that was pretty overgrown. A machete would have been helpful! Fortunately it was only a 1/4 mile or so to get through. Oh...there's some poison oak on this trail too, but I never felt like I was swimming through it.  My long pants and sleeves pretty much make it a non-issue for me anyway.

Monkeyflower

Self Heal (First time I've seen this flower)

Paintbrush

Walking along the river was beautiful as the water looked so pure and crisp.

Here is a video clip to see it.
Clackamas River from Michael Irving on Vimeo.

This tree was interesting and I’m not sure if this was woodpecker or termite damage?

We got to The Narrows and went out to the narrow cliffs along the river. Apparently, this is a popular swimming hole in the hot weather. (Photo Credit: "Clark Kent")

Western Bleeding Heart

Here is a short clip of drops coming off the cliff.
Drops from the Clackamas River Trail from Michael Irving on Vimeo.

Right when I thought there was nothing notable left to see, we came across Half Cave. This was a very cool rock over-hang that the trail went through. See Clark up there?

Here is a video of my walking through it. (Video Credit: "Clark Kent")
Half Cave from Michael Irving on Vimeo.

Clark coming through the tall firs.

Arnica

There were fern and wood sorrel everywhere and giant old growth. (Photo Credit: “Clark Kent”)

We cruised into the finish. As we went, we kept noticing the lower slope-side of the trail chewed up with loose dirt. Our guess was that a bear had been through looking for food off the side of the trail?? We only saw 6 hikers, and they were all in the same area. We drove our shuttle car back to Fish Creek and competed our hike.

Summary:
It was a great hike that was pretty approachable with a lot of variety. A great option would be to go from Indian Henry down to Pup Creek Falls and back as that would offer the greatest variety. The shuttle worked well and could be done either way depending on if you want an up-hill workout, or a downhill cruiser.

Favorite experience of the day:
Pup Creek Falls

Least favorite experience of the day:
The overgrown area under the power lines

Today's elevation:

Google Earth with Track (right-to-left)

GPS Track:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/mEQmCnMDZkLstiQ3eTKUBm8g

-GoalTech (aka Mike)
www.GoalTechHikes.com
@goaltechhikes (Instagram)
Last edited by mjirving on November 14th, 2018, 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RobFromRedland

Re: GoalTechHikes Clackamas River Tr - "First time in Clackamas" 061618

Post by RobFromRedland » June 17th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Mike:

Those cable crossings are used (I believe) by PGE to do power line maintenance. All the ones I've seen have been locked up, so no mere mortal could use them.

There also used to be one at the South Fork where the old Waterworks was. They used that to ferry supplies across to the keepers house. It has been gone for many years now.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 17th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Interesting. It makes total sense that they wouldn’t be available to the public. Thanks for clearing up the mystery!

mjanardh

Post by mjanardh » June 23rd, 2018, 5:38 pm

great trip report! as always cool pictures.
-Mani

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 23rd, 2018, 6:19 pm

Thanks! So great to meet you guys today! That was fun. I’m a little distracted working on my trip report from today as Oregon State is playing tonight to get into the College World Series finals! #nervous

pcg

Post by pcg » June 23rd, 2018, 6:54 pm

mjirving wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 3:16 pm
(PLEASE CORRECT MY FLOWER NAMES IF INCORRECT)
OK Mike, you asked for it! ;)
"There were fern and clover everywhere and giant old growth." That would be wood sorrel (oxalis) in there with the Oregon Grape, not clover. It has the same leaf shape as clover but is bigger, tastes better, and has a simple five petal flower, while clover flower has many (dozens? hundreds?) of small petals.

Beautiful photos and nice find on the Self Heal. I've never seen that either.

Re. the cable cars. I always check to see if they're locked, hoping maybe one day someone would have forgotten to lock one. There's a public one over the Chilliwack River in North Cascades National Park. It's fun to crank yourself across the river.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 23rd, 2018, 7:20 pm

Thank you! I made a commitment a couple years ago to start learning flowers as I knew pretty much none besides Lupine and Paintbrush. I saw a bunch of Self Heal on Nick Eaton Ridge today. Two weeks in a row!

Thuja

Post by Thuja » June 23rd, 2018, 7:38 pm

Last edited by Thuja on March 8th, 2019, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 23rd, 2018, 7:43 pm

Thanks! I’ll take a look and fix for the future. I appreciate your time to comment.

Thuja

Post by Thuja » June 23rd, 2018, 9:21 pm