PCT from Bridge of the Gods to the Herman Cr. trail connector. 061618

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

PCT from Bridge of the Gods to the Herman Cr. trail connector. 061618

Post by Don Nelsen » June 16th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Now that some of the gorge trails have reopened I have decided to hike all of them over the next few weeks. Today was day #3 of this effort. (Sorry about the not-so-great photos - Most of the time a light rain was falling and the lighting wasn't the best)

There are a few trails I haven’t hiked in years so I think this will be a fun exercise. Too bad so much is burned but still, there is beauty to be found if one has the right attitude.

Virtually 100% of the ground cover has burned in this 4.4 miles section of the PCT but by far most of the upper tree canopy has been spared. Only time will tell whether some of the badly burned trees will ultimately survive but so far, even some very badly burned ones are still green.

The views to the sides of the trail have been altered dramatically and it is like a first-time hike through here. Everywhere, new views previously obscured by foliage are available.

Here's evidence of an old trail off to the side I'd never noticed before

Here's another grade:

A few more views:

The trail itself is in great shape and a huge amount of effort has been expended to cut out many huge trees from the trail. Well done, trail crews!!

8.8 miles, 1390 total EG
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Re: PCT from Bridge of the Gods to the Herman Cr. trail connector. 061618

Post by retired jerry » June 17th, 2018, 5:28 am

Good project, interesting pictures, thanks

MarkInTheDark

Re: PCT from Bridge of the Gods to the Herman Cr. trail connector. 061618

Post by MarkInTheDark » June 17th, 2018, 5:54 am

Interesting report, thanks!