Table Mt. update as of 061418

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Table Mt. update as of 061418

Post by Don Nelsen » June 16th, 2018, 7:57 pm

I checked out the route to the north side of Table Mt. on Thursday:

The 2020 road and the connector past five corners to the powerline saddle is as good as ever but there is one rough spot and a couple of nice mud holes. Nothing a good driver and just a bit of road clearance couldn’t handle. I had no problem getting my 2WD sedan all the way to the powerline crossing at the north side TH. It is exactly 10 miles from SR 14 to the saddle. It took me 41 minutes going up and 38 to come back at a fairly leisurely pace. Not for everybody but still not bad as far as gravel forest/logging roads go.

A logging crew was in the process of taking their equipment back down the road as I went in and I spoke to one of the guys. He said they were done with logging for some time. I thanked him for the efforts to improve the road.

A good reason to drive these roads slowly and carefully!

Also, I took a look at Hamilton Creek below the power lines at the base of Aldrich Butte and it is now low enough to cross easily by stepping across on the rocks. I’d say in a short time it will be completely dry at that location.

The trail is well overgrown and could use some serious cutting back but the tread is fine as easy to follow.

I wandered around on top for a while and took in the views – it wasn’t too windy but it was 48 degrees so I didn’t stay long.

Found on an ant hill on the north side summit viewpoint - Hmmm - who knew ants liked Seagrams 7?!

A few more views:

3.0 miles, 550’ total EG.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Re: Table Mt. update as of 061418

Post by Chip Down » June 19th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
June 16th, 2018, 7:57 pm
The 2020 road and the connector past five corners to the powerline saddle is as good as ever but there is one rough spot and a couple of nice mud holes. Nothing a good driver and just a bit of road clearance couldn’t handle. I had no problem getting my 2WD sedan all the way to the powerline crossing at the north side TH. It is exactly 10 miles from SR 14 to the saddle. It took me 41 minutes going up and 38 to come back at a fairly leisurely pace. Not for everybody but still not bad as far as gravel forest/logging roads go.
Warning to people a little less crazy than Don: If you take your Accord up there, you'll be cursing Don the whole way. And if, god forbid, you get a flat and have to drive out on your donut, you'll be sobbing the whole way.

550' EG...for just a moment, I thought that was a typo :lol:

I didn't even recognize your pics. So that's what it looks like in summer!

Amazing to see Hamilton Creek so low! And it goes dry eventually? Wow.

Don Nelsen

Re: Table Mt. update as of 061418

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2018, 6:36 pm

550' EG, yep, I cheated! This is such an easy way to get to Table I'm almost embarrassed to admit I did it. But, a guy my age needs a recliner hike day now and then :)

Chip, yes, Hamilton goes dry for at least a couple of months and looks like this year it will go dry a bit early. Good news for those wanting to do the whole enchilada from the base by a more efficient route. (at least without trespassing)

I had a flat up there a few years ago and it was a major pain. I had a car full of friends and very little room to stow my full size tire in the back along with all of our gear. That little clown-car tire was stowed under the back on my SUV and it was daunting to have to drive slowly and carefully back out with a fully loaded car on a marginal tire as it was before much of the road improvements. Honestly though, now, that road is really much better. (Oh yeah, AAA will not tow your car off of a gravel/dirt/forest road. A friend of mine found this out in Hawaii a few years ago when he got his rental stuck on a dirt road on Mauna Kea and had to pay over $600 to have tow company retrieve him.)

That being said, my old beater car I drive to the most has 383,000 miles on it and if it dies somewhere it can't be retrieved, I can just walk away! :D
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller