Rogue Wolf Loop (Sky Lakes Wilderness) 14/15-Jun-2018

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Rogue Wolf Loop (Sky Lakes Wilderness) 14/15-Jun-2018

Post by VanMarmot » June 16th, 2018, 3:23 pm

There was a query back in March about this newly restored backpacking loop in the Sky Lakes Wilderness. It was on my list for this year but I had to wait for the snow to clear and for the infamous Sky Lakes mosquitos to work themselves into a blood-sucking frenzy (not too bad on the trail but fiendish in camp).

I finally got to it last week and it was a lot of fun. The total loop was 27.9 miles, with 4,400 feet of elevation gain. More work needs to be done on some of the trails in this loop (in addition to ongoing maintenance) so, at the moment, there's some navigating and bushwhacking, but, overall, I was impressed by how good the trails were. I was prepared to hate the burned areas but found them both compelling and cautionary. This worked as an overnight backpack but might be even better as a two-nighter. The only trick is that reliable water sources are scarce between Solace Meadow and the Seven Lakes Basin (unless you add two miles by diverting to Ranger Spring). This might not be the trip for the beginning backpacker, but it could be one for those with a few trail miles on their boots who want to see parts of the Sky Lakes Wilderness few have seen in the last 10 years. For details and yet more photos, see my Trip Report. I placed a detailed description of this trip in the Field Guide, under Southern Oregon.

The map posted last winter at our local REI store

Middle Fork of the Rogue River

New trees sprouting in the damage caused by the 2008 Lonesome Complex Fire

Solace Meadow

Aftermath of the 2017 Blanket Creek Fire around Solace Meadow

Devils Peak and Cliff Lake in late afternoon

Alta Lake in the early morning

Venus (with snow) from the north end of Alta Lake

View of Tom Mountain from the upper Middle Fork Trail

Some sections of the Middle Fork Trail are very nice...

and some (arrow) still need a little more work.

A special thanks to the Siskiyou Mountain Club and their partners - the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest, the  Fremont-Winema National Forest, the High Desert Trail Riders - Back Country Horseman, the Pacific Crest Trail Association, and REI - for once again making these trails accessible!
Last edited by VanMarmot on June 17th, 2018, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Re: Rogue Wolf Loop (Sky Lakes Wilderness) 14/15-Jun-2018

Post by retired jerry » June 16th, 2018, 5:05 pm

weird how many hiking trails go through recently burned areas

Jesse

Post by Jesse » June 17th, 2018, 10:21 am

There have just been a lot of burns recently. A byproduct of long, lovely summers when the snow pack melts off early.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 20th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Great loop! So is the "wolf" part because of the nearby peak or because this is OR-7 territory?

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 20th, 2018, 3:58 pm

bobcat wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 3:10 pm
Great loop! So is the "wolf" part because of the nearby peak or because this is OR-7 territory?
OR-7 holds a special place in our hearts down here but I think it was that "Lone Wolf" cinder cone just east of Solace Meadows that caught the SMC's attention.