Indian Point, Nick Eaton, Casey Creek 061518

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Re: Indian Point, Nick Eaton, Casey Creek 061518

Post by drm » June 19th, 2018, 7:10 am

I think comparing a closed iconic trail with waterfalls whose trailhead is next to an interstate with a climb up high on a mountain is not a very good analogy. Nonetheless I'm discussing fixing and reopening vs decommissioning. I too would hope that people would not be fined for giving it a try, with all the appropriate warnings. If my worst fears were true, the best route up would probably be a late season wade in the creek. And with memories of hikers white-knuckle clutching that cable, I really don't think many unprepared people would give it a try. Except maybe a few teenagers without much thought of risks . . .

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 19th, 2018, 9:05 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 9:39 am
kepPNW wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 4:52 am
Yikes! Nick Eaton is looking even worse than I feared. Looks quite similar in intensity to where the inferno licked the edge of the plateau at Camp Smokey. Almost included your ridge in my loop the same day, and kind of glad I just came down Herman instead. Much slower going, it appears. Guessing the upper junction with Gorton Creek trail was unburnt and easily spotted? Loved that Monkeyflower Falls near the end!
Karl, yes, the upper junction with Gorton Creek Trail is unburnt. Even the ground fire didn't get that far. Also, the trail that connects Nick Eaton to Deadwood Camp, though burned and unsigned is easily spotted.
This is good to hear! Might be my next general destination in that area. :)

Don Nelsen wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 9:39 am
I didn't know the name of that falls: Monkeyflower. Nice, I will remember that. thanks!
Heh, well... I did sort of make that up on the spot. ;)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2018, 10:28 am

sprengers4jc wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 1:14 pm
Really nice to run into you out there, Don! After you passed us and woodswalker and left us in your dust, I am guessing you were probably long gone by the time we saw the bear on the powerline road less than a mile from the TH.

1.jpg

2.jpg
Wow! To see a bear is really neat but to get a photo too is even better! Nice.
dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

jdemott

Post by jdemott » June 19th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Great report, Don. Reading it was just the inspiration to get me out there today--my wife and I did an out and back along the Herman Creek trail (we weren't ambitious enough to do the Nick Eaton loop). As you said, the Herman Creek trail is in quite good shape. We met a volunteer trail crew of about ten folks who were doing some more work on the section from the trailhead to Casey Creek--many thanks to the volunteers! I was also very encouraged to see how much of the forest in that area looks like it will recover fairly quickly.

A reminder to myself and anyone doing future hikes in the burn area--if you come in contact with any of the burned logs while scrambling over or around them, you will get REALLY DIRTY from all the soot. Some wipes or cleanup supplies back at the car will be very welcome.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2018, 5:14 pm

retired jerry wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 9:26 am
yeah, same here, shame to lose this trail

at least the tread is mostly stable - blasted out of rock
Jerry, yes, the tread is solid rock and has endured a hundred years of rockfall, ice fall, mud slides - you name it and it is just fine. It gets shoveled off every year and all is well. I can't think of what a better route for that trail could be.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 8:53 pm
You're something else DN! I'll be in the area in the next few days and following in some of your footsteps. Thanks for all the info :)
Thanks for the compliment and the note Sean. I'll be up there tomorrow myself heading out to Deadwood Camp and maybe all the way to Green Point. I figure I've only got about 50 years left so must make the best of it. ;)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2018, 5:21 pm

pcg wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Seeing as how this is NF I don't see how they could close a trail indefinitely, regardless of condition. It's our land after all, and there are much more hazardous places to be in NF than the trails that are currently damaged and closed in the Gorge. We always have been, and should always be free to venture wherever we like w/o consideration of someone's judgement of how hazardous something might be. I'm OK for closing something to prevent damage to environmentally sensitive areas, or while logging or mining activities are taking place, but it shouldn't be the responsibility or the duty of the USFS to otherwise prevent us from taking responsibility for our own safety and exploring where we please.
Amen - well said!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2018, 5:31 pm

pablo wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 9:32 pm
Thanks, Don, for the report, nice photos and narrative. I've really missed Nick Eaton/Gorton Creek - it has been my goto exercise hike. Too bad about Casey Creek Trail, I hope it can be recovered eventually. I guess the 3152 point is off limits - from what I saw yesterday looks like we may get a better view from there eventually. Views are the silver lining in all this destruction although it will be a while before all those dead trees come down.
--Paul
Paul, thanks for the note and the compliment! Yes, the 3152 is definitely off limits and is surely more than 25' off-trail. I took this one photo looking up at 3152 as I passed by and it looks like the views will be darn good for years to come:

dn