Roaring River Wilderness Loop, 6/14/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Charley

Roaring River Wilderness Loop, 6/14/18

Post by Charley » June 14th, 2018, 4:21 pm

I did a quick overnight trip around the high country of the Roaring River Wilderness with a friend last night. This Wilderness is practically snow free (there are a few 20 foot long patches on flat sections of trail). Most trails are well maintained, and some had just been logged/brushed. Though the Cache Meadows Trail is a mess (who thought it'd be a good idea to route a trail right over a seasonal creek???), the parallel Cripple Creek Trail is quite well maintained (when it dead ends at a deep ford of sluggish Cripple Creek, hike uphill through the dry forest about 50 yards to find an actual trail tread, just south of the site of the shelter). Roads were totally sedan passable.

We hiked up from Hideaway Lake (mosquitoes) to Frazier Turnaround, then around Rock and Serene Lakes, then around the loop of trails at Cache Meadows, then back to the car via Frazier. No problems.

It's possible to cobble together something like about 20-24 miles of hiking out of this trail network, and it's surprisingly beautiful. I'd never been before. It's not the Enchantments, but for those looking for early season hikes or medium length backpacks, not in the Gorge, this would certainly fit the bill.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

jeffstatt

Re: Roaring River Wilderness Loop, 6/14/18

Post by jeffstatt » June 14th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Great recommendation Charley!

(Any photos forthcoming? :D )

Charley

Post by Charley » June 14th, 2018, 7:35 pm

jeffstatt wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 5:59 pm
(Any photos forthcoming? :D )
Maybe in a few months, once I've got them developed and scanned. :lol:
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » June 15th, 2018, 5:20 am

I did that same loop in a day on June 10. I was there to settle unfinished business from last year when I was rained out and had to retreat when I got to the Rock Lakes area. The weather was mostly dry up until 10 am and it was snow and rain/snow for the rest of the day. As usual with snowfall around 32 deg, it's the melting snow from the trees that drenches so I could always find some relief by not standing under a tree.

One of the many fleeting God appearances as the fog and sun were dodging each other:
RR_god.jpg
God appeared to speak
Shellrock Lake when the weather was clear:
RR_shellrock.jpg
Shellrock Lake
The sun lighting a snowy slope:
RR_snow.jpg
Snow that day
The Rhodies were plentiful:
R-rhodie.jpg
Rhododendrons
One of the large meadows near the Cache Meadow trail junction:
RR_meadow.jpg
Meadow near Cache Meadow TJ
Other highlights: Serene Lake and the clifftop view of the lake from the trail at the top of the hill (too wet to dig out the camera).

The meadows really impressed me. There is a string of about four large meadows loaded with tiny flowers all linked by small openings between trees. Beautiful.

The day played out wonderfully. Usually this time of year there are all sorts of human sounds in the woods (distant gun use, cars from nearby roads, air planes, other people). All I could hear were the birds. The only human encounter was two late-day hikers about 100 yards from my car on my return. I'll bet the OP mid-week visit rewarded him with plenty of solitude.