Black Canyon Wilderness Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Schrauf

Black Canyon Wilderness Loop

Post by Schrauf » May 24th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Walked the Heart of Darkness Loop in Black Canyon Wilderness beginning May 17 over four days, the same loop as described here: http://www.friendsoftheochocos.org/heart-of-darkness

Only difference from the linked description is I started from the Black Canyon East trailhead along the South Fork John Day, which added six miles for a total of 44. There were 13 wet creek crossings in the first two miles from that trailhead, but none thereafter. Then looped clockwise up over Boeing Field, down Rock Creek, over Spanish Peak and beyond. That northern stretch includes about 10+ miles with no water. Only several patches of snow left on the north side all above 6k.

Fairly rough & rocky trail in places, but usually easy to follow. Several stretches are off-trail-like and good map-reading skills or GPS are recommended. Saw a three-person trail crew, one guy off-trail from a mile away, and that's all for the entire 44 miles. Oh, and pronghorn, deer, coyote, a giant gopher snake and a bobcat!

Entering Black Canyon near the TH
fullsizeoutput_fa1.jpeg
Approaching Spanish Peak in the afternoon
fullsizeoutput_f93.jpeg
Looking NW from near Spanish Peak in the evening
fullsizeoutput_f8b.jpeg
Morning fog on Spanish Peak
fullsizeoutput_f95.jpeg
Camp in Black Canyon
fullsizeoutput_f96.jpeg
Heading back into Black Canyon along Payten Trail
fullsizeoutput_f8e.jpeg
Coyote that almost walked into my camp before noticing me
fullsizeoutput_f99.jpeg

bobcat

Re: Black Canyon Wilderness Loop

Post by bobcat » May 25th, 2018, 8:28 am

Very cool loop and thanks for the report! This is probably the ideal time to be there. So many of those trails are just scratches in the ground, it's great to see someone out putting boots on them!

nickm

Post by nickm » May 28th, 2018, 12:59 pm

I just found out about this loop, and was planning on doing it this week! I like the photos you've shared, and I'm interested in the spots you choose to camp at. Did you camp at the same spots as the link you shared, or mix it up? Did you find the camp spot listed at the end of day 1 in the original? And from there was it easy to find the trail up towards Spanish Peak?

I'll likely follow the same path as the original write up. How are the water sources up there, other than that ~14 mile stretch that is dry? I just wanna make sure I'm able to get my water at least where I camp.

And what did you do for food storage? Is this bear country?

Thanks for the share, I love the pictures!

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » May 28th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Hey Nick, since I started at the East trailhead off the main loop, the first night I camped on a low rounded ridge between Owl Creek and Black Canyon Creek at about 5200 feet, maybe 3 miles before Boeing Field. The next night I passed that saddle camp, (Night 1 in the linked description) because it was too early to stop for the day and actually camped on the ridge before Spanish Peak. However, the Night 1 saddle camp in the link is pretty nice (open forest) and I would stop there if possible. The last water source (First Creek) is maybe 1/2 mile before that camp. Then the long dry stretch begins beyond First Creek. The trail that heads up to Spanish Peak is 100 yards before that saddle camp, and not hard to find if you know it's there. From there for the last night, I hiked all the way past Cottonwood Creek and down the Payten Trail back into Black Canyon and camped about a mile downstream on a low rise, two miles from the South Fork John Day. That's a long day.

There's definitely other occasional camp options on the loop, even more if it's getting late and you just need a spot. The meadow just beyond/above (south of) Cottonwood Creek is nice. If I recall, there's actually a small meadow first, followed by a larger meadow. Both seemed to have small flat areas near trees, out of the main meadow area that would be best to avoid.

There's good water in the all the obvious locations (the creeks on the topo map) and no long dry stretches other than that northern portion between First Creek and Buck Creek (Back Creek on some maps?). I don't think First Creek runs all year, but it still had a steady stream mid-May.

I happened to have a Ursack for food storage, but it does not seem necessary. A simple hang should work fine. Sure there's bears, but they are not habituated to camping humans.

Have fun!

nickm

Post by nickm » May 28th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm heading down that way tomorrow or wed. I'm excited to get out and backpack again, it's been a while since I've had the time. I appreciate your write up and I'll definitely keep your experience in mind when I do the hike, it's the only write up I've seen other than the linked one!

No bear canisters or bags, so I'll just stick to hanging. Seems I'll have no problem doing that. And thanks for clarifying that campground info, I'll be sure to fill up water at first creek when I cross it.

romann

Post by romann » May 31st, 2018, 1:15 am

These ridges look spectacular. Thank you for trip report and the link, I always wanted to explore Ochocos in more depth (been just 20-30 miles west from there this Memorial Day).

Looks like a lot of walking through grass in your pictures, did you see any ticks?

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » May 31st, 2018, 6:49 am

No ticks and no other pesty insects as of mid-May. There are some brushy areas, but generally the trail is worn enough to avoid much of the tall grass. The brushy areas along Black Canyon Creek are thicker than anything up higher.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 8th, 2018, 2:43 pm

I went from Boeing trailhead into Black Canyon about 5 miles. The trail disappeared into swampy area. I had only limited time so I turned around there.

It seemed like the trail mostly went through forest. Not a lot of views, although there were some nice meadow areas. Maybe good backpack in May when it's snowy everywhere else.