Starway Trail (Silver Star Mountain)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Starway Trail (Silver Star Mountain)

Post by Chip Down » May 21st, 2018, 7:53 pm

I haven't been to Silver Star in 15-ish years, maybe 20. I've seen it all, I figured. And in every season/weather/condition. But I never did anything with Starway Trail, because it was so overgrown and indistinct at the top, and I was never able to find the bottom. But a recent TR by Pablo aroused my curiosity. With better resources in this era, I came to realize I had been mislead about where to look for the bottom of the trail. Heck, it's right where the field guide says it is. It's so clear, a random explorer could stumble upon it.

After a horrible drive on FS Road 41 (every bit as bad as I remembered) I walked down Rd 4107 and crossed Copper Creek on an extravagant bridge, and continued up, looking for any sign of the trail: a boot-track, flagging, anything that looked un-natural. When I reached the start of Starway, I laughed. It's an old road, impossible to miss. As our fieldguide warned, it was brutally steep. I've seen steeper, but it was so sustained, climbing relentlessly. Steep enough to be tiring, not steep enough to be interesting. I'd be uneasy about driving this road.

Perhaps around 3000' it got easier, and the forest opened up slightly. I was getting into the clouds I had looked up at from the TH. I had hoped I'd get above them, or they would burn off, but no, it was drizzly, so I figured they'd be with me a while. I looked forward to the remnants of the shelter I had read about, hoping for a dry place to break. When I reached it, I was disappointed that it was just scattered tarps and nails, stacked firewood, a firepit. At its best, I bet it was never much better than a large tent. Fortunately, the rain never amounted to much.

I continued on, waiting for the route difficulties and bushwhacking, but it never happened. The field guide perhaps needs an update. Popped into a beargrass meadow at a high point, and the elevation was consistent with the high point on Starway ridge. Later, as expected, a view of falls. The cloud layer was high now, so I was able to look down and see the falls I'd been hearing. Not a great view though, and I've seen better pictures, so I wondered if I'd missed a viewpoint in the clouds. Continuing, I dropped a bit, then back up, as expected. Snow got deeper, trail harder to follow. Had views over to Baldy. Looked like I was getting close to Bluff Mt trail. Popped up onto a high point just as the clouds parted to reveal I was still a long ways off. As the clouds swirled, I recognized landmarks I've been to, and could finally see clearly the impressive falls on the N side of Silver Star. This, I realized, was absolutely the high point of the ridge. It was far better than expected. But soon, the clouds swallowed it all up, and I was back to grey.

The trail was clear, and I dropped northbound towards Bluff Mt Trail, down to the saddle. Reached a bonus I wasn't expecting: a flat cliff-top viewpoint, maybe about half way down to the saddle. Amazing place. The clouds started breaking up a bit, and I could get glimpses of what it would look like when clear. I had been contemplating a loop, but now I knew I had to come back this way for the afternoon clearing that was predicted.

I continued to Bluff Mt Trail, with a little side trip to explore a spiny ridgelet close to the trail. Following the trail in the snow was a challenge, but it didn't matter too much. At this point, unless the clouds came back thicker than ever, I was confident I couldn't get lost. Finally, the junction. It was noon already. Took me 6 hrs to do 3 miles. How is that possible? Super heavy pack (canned goods, glass, traveling on the luxury plan), dawdling, exploring, etc. Silver Star seemed a reasonable turnaround point. I had wanted to do more, but was severely sleep deprived, and needed to be home by dark so I wouldn't fall asleep at the wheel. SS looked so far away, but I'm told it's a scant mile, so I set off.

Took less than 30 mins, which amazed me. Towards the end, I grew tired of the endless gentle route to the top, and set off on my own, up through the snow. View from the top was intermittent, but I spent enough time there that it was clear in every direction, just not all at once. Actually, I guess at the end it was probably clear in all directions. I felt out of place, in long pants, mountaineering boots, full gaiters, fleece shirt, 65L pack. Others were in t-shirts and shorts, packless, carrying water bottles in their hands. Encountered a couple young ladies on bikes (!) asking about where trails went and whatnot. I asked what their destination was. It was far far away. I was spared having to warn them; they said they were on a three-day trip. What a cool adventure, bikes in a mix of snow and bare trail, through amazing scenery. I noticed I could see Three Corner Rock, and then a few seconds later another guest observed the same. Spooky. Heard another guest point and say "that's Starway over there". I said nothing. It amazed me how impressive Starway looked from SS. It perplexed me that I never made a serious attempt at it before, but I think maybe I assumed it was all one big brushball, not worth the effort. Took pictures for people. On the way back to Bluff Mt Trail, I dropped off SS's summit as directly as possible, and encountered a two person mountaineering school, or so it appeared. Point of all the above observations: It was a fun atmosphere, people of all walks out having fun, like a park. (Incidentally, I think people don't realize how far voices travel in places like that.)

On the way back, I stopped at various high points. I suppose I've been to some/most/all of them before, but not sure. As expected, when I returned to the top of Starway, skies were completely clear except the occasional cotton ball way up high. Dropping into the forest was fun. Earlier, it was dead calm and foggy, but now it was warm and breezy, with light filtering through the trees. In spite of the brief drizzle earlier, I'd rate this day's weather a 10. I love low swirling clouds, and the variety of this day's weather was fantastic. It was never too hot, never uncomfortably chilly.

I was dreading the brutal steep descent, but it was only 1:40 with a couple breaks. I kept reminding myself it's only about as much elevation loss as a Devil's Rest descent, no big deal (an interesting coincidence, considering the bridge is at the elevation of Angel's Rest, which means the high point on Starway is Angel+Devil).

Pics are in chronological order.
Attachments
0.jpg
Approaching the high point of Starway.
1.jpg
Looking west.
2.jpg
The Bluff Mt trail is way off at that ridge in the clouds. Looked so far, but it wasn't bad, kinda fun actually.
3.jpg
A couple more of this could put Chip down for the count. 4oz pineapple juice, 4oz rum, 4oz pineapple hard cider, garnish with pineapple ring.
4.jpg
Waterfalls on N side of SS. That pulpit on the left is easily accessible, and just as beautiful as it looks.
5.jpg
Looking west again, a little more clearing now.
6.jpg
A fun mossy flowery rocky spine on the approach to Bluff Mt trail. Starway to the left.
7.jpg
Random peak near Bluff Mt trail; SS in distance.
8.jpg
Another random peak near Bluff Mt trail; Lil Baldy in distance.
9.jpg
Another random peak near Bluff Mt trail; Starway in distance. To the left is the little spine I scrambled along as I neared the Bluff Mt trail.

Arturo

Re: Starway Trail (Silver Star Mountain)

Post by Arturo » May 21st, 2018, 8:31 pm

You need to set up bar at the top.
You'll make a killing.

pablo

Post by pablo » May 21st, 2018, 11:18 pm

Nice report, thx. Like you say, the steep climb to the miners camp is not particularly interesting and kind of tough which is why I don't do it anymore. On the other hand, it is a fast way down at the end of a loop to other places. I like the photos with the misty look of the north side of SS.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 22nd, 2018, 4:19 am

Arturo: Forget the money, I'd do it just to see the stunned looks. :lol:

Paul: Thanks for the inspiration. It wasn't the first time I've found it rewarding to follow in your footsteps.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » May 22nd, 2018, 11:44 am

I agree with your comment about "being uncomfortable to drive this road". I have been on that road twice now. Both times I had to think: "what did someone drive this with?" The only thing I would want to drive up that steep grade with would be a crawler.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 22nd, 2018, 6:34 pm

Hey KW, thanks for the feedback. There are so many guys who would scoff and say "it's not that steep, I could do it in my tougher-than-your truck". I wonder what would be scarier, going up or down. I've lost control going up a super-steep grade, and that's terrible, sliding backwards wondering where the heck you're going :shock:

A couple afterthoughts on my TR:

Never saw the tarn I've seen pictured alongside the Starway Trail. I did run into a swampy area though, and I suspect after the snow melts out it develops into a proper pond. Surprised it's typically described as a tarn though, because I associate that name with true alpine/glaciated areas.

Never encountered the arch that I've been to before, on the Bluff trail. I went east to the last vestige of rocky outcroppings, so I guess the arch must be kinda hidden in the mostly-forested stretches further east. Odd.

I noticed there's a USFS page on Starway, which surprised me:
Alert: This trail [#175] is difficult to find and follow once it leaves Copper Creek. Carry a good map and expect some route-finding challenges. This is a trail that should only be attempted by persons with good route finding skills and confidence in cross-country travel.
Interesting. It's impossible to get lost on the road section (lower), or on the stretch from the high point to the Bluff trail. I suppose between the abandoned camp and the high point it would be possible to get lost. Maybe I benefited from recent rehabilitation, so I shouldn't be too smug, but except for a few iffy spots I think it's a no-brainer.

Incidentally, I never saw any flagging, except a few very-old faded scraps. Quite a few sawcuts though, which offer reassurance to the nervous hiker.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » May 22nd, 2018, 11:40 pm

Great write up, thanks for the report.
Count me in as another who doesn't enjoy starway very much. That climb is kinda miserable. The ridge high points are great though.