Archer Mountain Hike - 2018-05-20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Archer Mountain Hike - 2018-05-20

Post by dmthomas49 » May 21st, 2018, 10:26 am

Hiked Archer on Sunday May 20 with my daughter. We finally found the right trail from the meadow. There is now a rock cairn that I don’t remember seeing before, indicating the faint trail off to the right.
IMG_7301.JPG
The trail down to the footbridge is in good shape and the bridge is easily doable.
IMG_7285.JPG
The climb up has some nice view points and is not difficult to navigate. Someone had done some recent grading and repair on the trail. Thank you, whoever you are! We also passed some small waterfalls
IMG_7290.JPG
IMG_7292.JPG
IMG_7291.JPG
The issues start after the 4 way trail intersection. The road leading left or right does not seem to have an easily follow able path. The trail up is very overgrown but still discernable until you get closer to the top. Then you are left looking for the orange ribbon markers.
IMG_7300.JPG
We headed to the southeastern spur. As we approached we saw some of the fire damage. The steep and narrow trail leading to the spur is very tenuous with the soil no longer having some of the rocks, roots and brush to hold it in place. I recommend not attempting this approach.
IMG_7293.JPG
Hiked back down and completed in about 3 hours. There were 2 other cars at the trailhead when we finished.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

jeffstatt

Re: Archer Mountain Hike - 2018-05-20

Post by jeffstatt » June 14th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Just caught up with this trip report. Thanks for posting it! I haven't done that hike in a dozen years and it was off my radar screen. Thanks for providing the trail conditions!