GoalTechHikes Wygant Peak - "Blowdowns Gone" 050618

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

GoalTechHikes Wygant Peak - "Blowdowns Gone" 050618

Post by mjirving » May 10th, 2018, 10:17 pm

2018.10 - Wygant Peak
“Night & Day” 

5/6/18
Rating: 3 Stars

Miles: 9.6 (10.7 on GPS, but lots of jitter, listed at 6.0 which feels a bit short?)
Time: 4 hrs, 10 min
Avg MPH: 2.3
Elev Min: 100’
Elev Max: 2,214’
Total Ascent: 2,605’
Steps: 18,700
Flights of Stairs: 203
Time Up: 3:45am
Sleep Hours: 5:30
Start Time: 5:40am
Temp Low: 54
Temp High: 62
Other hikers: 3
Female hikers: 67%
Longest time without seeing a hiker: 3:30
Wildlife: Birds, Bumble Bee
Parking Permit Required: No
Parking Lot: 13 spaces
Bathrooms: Pit Toilet

Columbia River Gorge * Wygant Peak

Opening Shot: Mitchell Point from part way up Wygant Peak

In my quest to re-hike all the trails on the Oregon side of the Gorge after the Eagle Creek Fire, I ventured back to Wygant Peak for another go, after doing it also last year, before the fire. I got to the trailhead at 5:30am and what do you know…I was the first car there…just how I like it! It was a balmy morning with it being in the mid 50s already. The wind was dead-calm which made for a rare glassy picture of the Columbia at dawn.

Some Scotch Broom lined the path with some views into the Columbia along the old road.

As I got into the trees, the Pacific Dogwood was in perfect bloom and just gorgeous as there were several of them interspersed.

There is a very faint waterfall back in here. I almost missed it, as it was almost dry already, which surprised me this early in the spring, as I remembered it being more substantial last year.

Western Groundsel was next on the path as I started winding up the switchbacks,

mixed in with Arrowleaf Balsamroot.

I saw the uncommon Silver Crown Luina for I think the first time ever for me.

The crossing of Perham Creek (~1.5 miles in) was super easy as there is a fallen log that made the crossing almost as easy if there had been a full-on bridge there.

As I started to head up in earnest, I saw Lupine,

Prairie Star,

and Larkspur.

There are several nice viewpoints, pretty evenly spaced out, on the climb up with views of the Columbia. One of the lower ones, down a short spur trail right after the power lines, offers an expansive 180-degree view to the left,

and right.

Longleaf Phlox was next,

and Western Waterleaf.

The wind finally started to blow as I approached one of the last few viewpoints toward the top. This is looking at Dog Mountain, with Wind Mountain tucked in behind on the left.

Fairy Slipper was up toward the top,

and Hooker’s Fairybell.

Then I reached the glorious 2,214’ summit with its expansive views…of trees.  And of course the baby cairn.

Knowing the real payday was just ahead, I dropped down the use trail, past the summit a tenth of a mile, to the open meadow, which afforded me some nice views to the west.

I saw a Red-Flowered Currant there,

and took a pano which included snow-capped Mt Defiance in the upper-left, and a hint of the burn area, in the center of the picture, on the ridge on the back side of the main ridge in the picture.

I was so thankful for the work that had been done since I hiked the trail last year. The bottom portion was a first class trail with the trail raked out and worked on significantly. Last year there were 91 blowdowns that I counted, with many being significant with climbing over, or crawling under. This year, there were 5. They were towards the top and I didn’t even really need to break my stride to get passed them. Wow…amazing work!

It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to the top and then 1 hour and 25 minutes to get down.

I did see some Oregon Grape on the way down that I missed on the way up.

Here’s a cool, short video clip of leaves spinning in the wind on cobwebs that fascinated me.
2018-05-06 Spinning Leaves from Michael Irving on Vimeo.

I only met 3 hikers on my hike, a solo gal as I was coming down, and then an older couple in their upper 70s I’d guess, by Perham Creek. I always love seeing older hikers as it inspires me to aim to be “one of them someday”…out hiking in the Gorge when I’m 80.

Thanks to the OregonHikers adamschneider and pcg who helped me identify some of the flowers I wasn’t familiar with! (feel free to correct me on this or any post where I’m mistaken…thanks!)

Summary:
A decent hike in the gorge with several views and a healthy climb that isn’t too steep. It’s got a creek, a small waterfall in the spring, nice views, and an okay view from the summit if you go past the summit to the meadow. The trail is in awesome shape with the blowdowns out…a nice Oregon Gorge hike while the other trails are closed. Lots of flower variety too, although not dense amounts of them.

Favorite experience of the day:
The view from the meadow, just after the summit.

Least favorite experience of the day:
Being first on the trail for the day and thus being in charge of knocking down all the cobwebs from overnight. 

Today's elevation:

Google Earth with Track:

GPS Track:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/5HHQcatwJC8RDJjAVmDliMrE

-GoalTech (aka Mike)
www.GoalTechHikes.com
@goaltechhikes (Instagram)

Chip Down

Re: GoalTechHikes Wygant Peak - "Blowdowns Gone" 050618

Post by Chip Down » May 11th, 2018, 4:42 am

mjirving wrote:
May 10th, 2018, 10:17 pm
Least favorite experience of the day:
Being first on the trail for the day and thus being in charge of knocking down all the cobwebs from overnight. 
One of the disadvantages of hiking solo. I once said to a hiker coming the other way "I'm so glad to see you!" He looked worried, asked what was wrong. I explained I was pleased to know the trail was clear up ahead.

I thought Wygant was in pretty good shape before. Was surprised to see all the effort put into restoration.

Your start time was perfect. Sleep is over-rated (I'm happy to get 4 hrs before a hike).

Did you ask the other hikers how they identify, or did you assign gender based on appearances/behavior?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 11th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Yes, I too love starting early. I always aim
For civil twilight.

I’m basing my classification of the folks I met on my own judgement.

For the record, I cordially greeted them with a smile. Upon receiving a friendly response, I engaged them both in conversation (as I enjoy doing that sort of thing). I asked both parties if they had been here before. (I purposely did not ask if it was their “first time” as I think there is a subtle difference there as it is slightly more in the camp of “you don’t look like you’ve been here before”. I know it’s super similar, but I think there is a bit of a difference. My purpose in asking was that if they HAD been here before, to let them both know the great news of the condition of the trail. And if they had NOT been before, that they knew to continue on past the summit to the payoff view as I would certainly want to know that.

The gal had not been before and was glad to hear that the trail had been cleared as she had heard it was bad. She was not aware of the view past the summit and was glad to hear about it. The older couple was also excited to hear of the clearing as they had turned around the prior year as it was too much of a challenge for them. They too were glad to know of the view past the top.

I used another subtle word choice and said, “You may already know this, but there is a great view past the summit.” That way, I’m not assuming they don’t know and letting them feel as if they are not being assumed to have not known.

At the end of the day, they were two very friendly conversations that felt (as near as I could tell) comfortable on both sides. Of course when the social cues aren’t there, I just smile, say hi, and move on.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » May 12th, 2018, 5:28 pm

I just did this hike today.
Holy shit I couldn't believe the preponderance of poison oak.
Pretty much a 3 mile stretch of it.
Spent more time watching my steps than the scenery, which was limited anyway, but still.
Not a hike I'd recommend, or do again.
One good view of Adams. That's it. And a pile of rocks with no view at the summit.
Plus side, on a Saturday we saw one couple the whole day. But I think it may have something to do with the poison oak. In a few weeks it will be over-running the narrower parts of the trail.
IMG_20180512_104519.jpg
Gorgeous day though!

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 12th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Did you go just past the summit for the payoff view?

Arturo

Post by Arturo » May 12th, 2018, 7:23 pm

No. I didn't read very thoroughly the first time.
I'm glad to check it off the list though.
Thanks for the report.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 12th, 2018, 9:35 pm

Arturo, I did a bit of-trail exploring up there on a couple occasions recently. In spite of my precautions, I got hit by PO pretty bad. Both wrists, gap between shirt and gloves.
Ticks too, about as bad as I've ever seen.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » May 13th, 2018, 7:02 am

To really complicate things, there's a lot of white oak up there too.
You gotta be able to recognize PO (you'd be surprised how many people don't).
The couple I met had a dog and were wearing shorts and t-shirts. None of which I'd be doing up there.
I hope they didn't meet the same fate as you cuz it'll be more than just a wrist for them.

I came home tick-less thankfully.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 17th, 2018, 9:51 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 12th, 2018, 9:35 pm
In spite of my precautions, I got hit by PO pretty bad. Both wrists, gap between shirt and gloves.
Ticks too, about as bad as I've ever seen.
Our experience, too, two years ago. Ticks galore, and PO everywhere. Lots of nice flowers, and a few good views. (The meadow beyond summit is only good reason to go there.) Not one I'd do every year, but maybe every 3-5... If someone *really* wanted to go and I was out of other ideas...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mjanardh

Post by mjanardh » May 20th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Your trip report and pictures sold us to check this one out, nice work there! Trail was in great shape. great photo op spots along the way and views of Helens and Adams. But it was poison oak farm for the first 3 miles!