Birkenfeld Mt to Three Corner Rock

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Birkenfeld Mt to Three Corner Rock

Post by Chip Down » May 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Some days, the drive is the scariest part of the hike. Road CG2020 = six miles of apologizing to your poor abused vehicle. I miss my Jeep with 30" tires. When I knew I was getting close, I took advantage of a place to park, and set out on foot.

Following Don Nelsen's directions on Summitpost, I looked for a faint trail or flagging, but found neither, so picked what looked like the most sensible spot, and left the road. I was good or lucky; I soon found myself following a vague trail up a ridgecrest. The trail was tricky to follow at times, but the ridgecrest was clear.

After maybe half an hour of steep ascent, I came to a clear rocky portion of the ridge, and stopped to admire the view. Amazed at how many peaks I could see from here. Distraught to see rain in several directions though! That wasn't expected. First mosquitoes of the season. I've been carrying DEET maybe about three weeks now, so I was prepared. Funny, I was so looking forward to this hike with no poison oak or ticks, but I got mosquitoes. (And they got me too.)

I continued along the undulating ridge, the bulk of the elevation gain behind me. It was fun, but not everything I expected. Less challenging and less rewarding. Before long I was dropping down the south side of Birkenfeld towards South Birkenfeld Mountain. The rain arrived. I spotted the PCT, and was surprised. I knew I'd run into it eventually, but damn, it was just a few after 7am. What now? Could probably be back at the car in a couple hours. I could go over to Three Corner Rock. Never been on PCT between Table and TCR, so it seemed a good plan. But what about the rain? I sat under a forested canopy and pondered it as waves of light showers passed through. Decided to take a chance on it. Dumped any unneccessary gear and some water and food, and struck out northbound.

Within a couple minutes, I felt good about my decision. What's the worst that could happen? I could get a bit soggy. I looked over at Three Corner Rock. Not that far, but the route isn't straight, nor is it level. I wondered how long it would take. Wondered if I should have brought more than a mini bag of cheetos. I dropped down into a clearcut. Then into the relief of a open forest with a beargrass carpet, gently down to the low point, and gently back up towards TCR. Snow had been intermittent/light, but approaching TCR is was nearly continuous. It's the PCT though, so there was an easy track to follow to the TCR junction, up to the tower, over to the peak. Haven't been here in, oh, ten years, maybe 15. Nostalgic.

Weather was just finally starting to inspire confidence, sun breaking through. Lingered for a long time, ate my cheetos, drank my beer. Wish I had decided to walk the scenic road on a loop back to the PCT, but I wanted to see if I could find the water trough on the TCR trail, so went back the way I came. Never did find it. Found a creek and followed it upstream, but it went under snow. Surmised the spring/trough was buried, so didn't waste any more time on that.

Long story short (is it too late for that?) I worked my way back to the Birkenfeld Saddle, stayed on trail until PCT crossed over Birkenfeld crest, then left PCT and ascended the south side of South Birkenfeld. It was lovely in spots, but I nearly gave up because of heavy brush. Persisted, found an opening, continued up. I guess it was worthwhile, but I can't enthusiastically endorse it. So, one more time I hiked the PCT southbound from the Birkenfeld Saddle, crossed over the ridgecrest again, continued all the way down to a big opening under powerlines at the end of a utility road (you can see it from the Table/Birkenfeld saddle). I was here a few months ago in heavy snow, and wanted to see it bare. Then looped back up on the road until I was at the Birkenfeld/Table saddle.

I had planned to follow the powerlines down eastbound, and turn left at the first northbound road, but actually that road was right there at the saddle. I was surprised, but yep, that's what the map shows. Followed the road through increasing snow. Passed a guy headed the opposite direction who had his truck buried to the axles, waiting for help to arrive. Nice guy. Does it seem weird he had cell coverage? Well, earlier when I was on Birkenfeld and it started raining, I was able to check on the latest weather forecast for Cascade Locks ("chance of sprinkles").

I was going to draw my confusing convoluted route on a map, but the scope of my wanderings were so large that I can't find a good clear map showing trails and roads over the entire route. I guess I could stitch together a series of smaller maps, but no, I'm not that obsessive. The overview below will have to suffice. [edit: Wow. Looking at my map, I just noticed Three Corner Rock is accessible by road from where I parked! Google says it's 11 minutes, 3.7 miles :lol: ]

Stats:
Miles: heck if I know
Elevation: lowest to highest points were maybe 1100' apart, but there was so much up-down-up-down, it's anyone's guess
Time: all in the light, so must have been less than a day
Other humans seen: 3 (2 at Three Corner Rock, 1 on PCT)
Water carried: about 100 oz, nearly all consumed (wished I had my filter, but didn't know if I'd have access to water/snow)
Beer consumed: Exactly 25.4 oz. That I know for sure. Yeah, I know what's important.

Pics are in chronological order.
Attachments
BirkenfeldOverview.JPG
P=parked, H=high point, L= low point, Three Corner Rock is in triangle at upper left.
0.jpg
Just a random nice spot on Birkenfeld. Ominous sky made me a little nervous, but it never came to much.
1.jpg
South Birkenfeld Mt, Table Mountain behind.
2.jpg
Bicycles prohibited; logging equipment welcome.
3.jpg
4.jpg
Fun scrambles abound on the steeper back side of Three Corner Rock.
5.jpg
A good creative photographer with good equipment and ideal conditions could come up with some fun pics here.
6.jpg
7.jpg
Northbound PCT at Birkenfeld Saddle.
8.jpg
Table Mt from S. Birkenfeld.
9.jpg
Top (I think) of S. Birkenfeld. Hamilton Mt to right.

RobinB

Re: Birkenfeld Mt to Three Corner Rock

Post by RobinB » May 7th, 2018, 8:10 pm

As I said in the other thread, great trip! And I think those were my tracks you followed: there were faint indents when I went through, but nothing terribly definitive. Sorry if I led you astray!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 12th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Hey Chip,

sorry about the condition of the route as per my Summitpost description. I have not been up there to do some brushing out for three or four years and it seems neither has anyone else. Still, looks like you found the correct ridge. Thanks for the TR!

Oh yeah, yes, TCR is doable by car all the way to the base of the final pinnacle. It's a bit tough on your car though, and it's a lot more fun to hike it from wherever. The very best route, IMHO, is from the road that follows the
Washougal River.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 17th, 2018, 6:14 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Fun scrambles abound on the steeper back side of Three Corner Rock.
Was joking the other day about "when you smile and say hi to your favorite trees and rocks..." Funny how some get etched into the brain. Saw this, and, "I know that rock!" :lol:

May 12, 2018

Don Nelsen wrote:
May 12th, 2018, 8:13 pm
The very best route, IMHO, is from the road that follows the Washougal River.
I love that route, too! Warning: a new logging road has obliterated the trailhead and first half mile! After that, piece o' cake, and total solitude to the top. (Oh, and DNR maintains that it's "closed" as well.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...