Augspurger Mt from Cook via Can Lid Lane

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Re: Augspurger Mt from Cook via Can Lid Lane

Post by Guy » May 9th, 2018, 9:07 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 4:49 pm
If you have enough time/energy, you can follow that northern trail all the way to an abandoned trailhead.
Hey! what do you mean Abandoned ;)

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

beag

Post by beag » May 9th, 2018, 10:19 am

Another way would b to take Berge for 3 miles, right on logging road to N end of Aug which is an approved trailhead as far as I know. WTA does work on N aug trail so that makes it official enough. Whatever way you go to N, Aug I would wait a few weeks for a good day and the flowers are in bloom. Spectacular views and flowers. In my opinion,one of the best in the Gorge. Hiking Cook, Tin can trail and then N Aug is a fantastic hike if you are in good shape. If you go off trail on Tin Can route it is best to head up to ridge where you should b able to find the way. Ridge ends at a drop off. Then you make a left and work your way up to nice VP of Hood. From there it is plain sailing.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 16th, 2018, 11:26 am

It sounds like there are no markings for the Cook Hill climb, but is it reasonably easy to follow?

And then the can lids take you from the saddle to the Augspurger summit? (Excepting the damaged areas and missing markers you mentioned.)

I won't have time for the whole thing this weekend, but was thinking of trying the Cook Hill part.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 16th, 2018, 7:30 pm

arlohike wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 11:26 am
It sounds like there are no markings for the Cook Hill climb, but is it reasonably easy to follow?
It's not bad. Of course, I dislike trails, so you might think it's awful! :lol: Easiest way to get to top of Cook Hill: From the standard Jackson Road TH, follow the normal route up the road, but instead of looking for the trail that leaves the road, just stay on the road all the way to Auggie Saddle. It's an abandoned road, so it's as peaceful as a trail. At the saddle, take the road that goes SE to a radio tower, walk around the tower and pick up the road on the other side, continue down the slightly overgrown ridgecrest road. When it veers left and gets brushier, leave the road and climb steeply up a trail. Easy to spot, you really can't miss it. When you top out on the forested summit, you'll see the flower/rock strewn meadow and nice views a few yards away.
arlohike wrote:
And then the can lids take you from the saddle to the Augspurger summit? (Excepting the damaged areas and missing markers you mentioned.)
Yep, opposite of Cook Hill: From Auggie Saddle, go past towers, headed NW, look for can lids on ridge crest.
arlohike wrote:
I won't have time for the whole thing this weekend, but was thinking of trying the Cook Hill part.
Consider the standard route to top of Cook Hill, then over to the saddle, and back on the road. If you're worried about losing your way on Cook Hill, this gives you the comfort of an easy descent. If you have time anxiety, I can look up my times on various trips.