Douglas Trail / Mcintyre Ridge 4-25-18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AaronPDX

Douglas Trail / Mcintyre Ridge 4-25-18

Post by AaronPDX » April 25th, 2018, 7:46 pm

A quick summary...

Couldn't get my Prius all the way to the trailhead parking, due to snow on the road. Had to walk 1/2 mile + to trailhead. Snowshoed most of that.

Gunshots galore, sometimes rapid fire, through most of my ascent up Douglas to the Mcintyre Ridge junction. (Target shooters down the road a ways.) Never fun, but always... real? And in this area (for me at least), expected.

Lost the trail (both trails) several times due to snow, but found it after backtracking a bit... Good practice in mindfulness and taking one's time...

As always, the sunny, rocky, licheny view spot just beyond up from the quarry, looking toward Eagle Creek canyon, is a treat. A sacred area, really.

Once I embarked on Mcintyre Ridge, snow got seriously deep and I regretted abandoning my snowshoes lower down on Douglas. But with trekking poles and a willingness to sink down and get wet (willing because today it was >80º), it was no big deal. Never made it to the bench view though, given a late start and slow going.

Anyway, the practical takeaway for other visitors is: yes, it's snowy in late April! [Duh! --Fictional Editor] Snowshoes are a good idea for Mcintyre; on Douglas you could get away with easily ported Yaktrax. And a 4WD/AWD vehicle and/or snow tires would allow you to get all the way to the trailhead.

squidvicious

Re: Douglas Trail / Mcintyre Ridge 4-25-18

Post by squidvicious » April 26th, 2018, 7:41 am

Thanks for the update. For some reason I always have a hard time getting my brain to believe this area is as high/snowy as it is, so it's good to be reminded to give it a little while yet.

Never comfortable with the shooting over there.