Table Mountain, 042318

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Re: Table Mountain, 042318

Post by Chip Down » April 24th, 2018, 6:13 pm

From the video:
Don Nelsen wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 7:32 am
That was graceful.
Don, that's so much like what I would say in that situation. :lol:
I once actually laughed at myself after a clumsy stumble, not realizing I had sustained a major injury. Ahh, good times.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 24th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Chip Down wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 6:04 pm
This discussion of parking reminds me of Don's previous signature line. I don't recall exactly, something along the lines of "nothing is impossible, there are only varying degrees of difficulty".

Don, I forgot to ask earlier, did you pass by the Table Mt table? How's it looking? Last visit there I had to dig in the snow to find pieces. I imagine it's pretty much obliterated now.
Chip,

My old line refered to routes deemed impassible: "There is no such thing as impassible...." This byline emerged when I led a hike to the summit of Molokai in Jan. of 2013 and we were told by the locals that the route had been abandoned for a hundred years and was impassible. We made it happen, (albeit with considerable difficulty.)
The same thing was told to us on an earlier hike I led to the summit of Kawaikini on the island of Kauai in Feb. of 2006:

The TR: http://cohp.org/hi/Kauai_2.pdf

A short video of the event on Molokai:
https://youtu.be/u7ubroytLq4

Of course, "Nothing is impossible..." would be a good byline too - and I believe that, as well. The most worthwhile things in life are the most valuable and cherished when earned.

Also, yes, I passed by the table and it is a pile of broken pieces scattered around the sign at the top of the trail. I should have taken a photo but failed to do so. I wonder what happened to it?

Thanks for the comment!

dn
Last edited by Don Nelsen on June 27th, 2019, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

sheilakpdx

Post by sheilakpdx » April 25th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Appreciate the trip report. I have had my eye on Table Mtn for a while- and unfortunately it is now far longer....still though...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 25th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Jack wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 8:43 am
Thanks for trip report DN! You photos sure do a good job of describing the pluses and minuses of that hike. I need to get up there soon!
Jack,

Thanks for the compliment.

From what I know about you this would be a piece of cake for both you and Spitfire. Hope to see a TR if you do it!

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 25th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Chip Down wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 6:13 pm
From the video:
Don Nelsen wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 7:32 am
That was graceful.
Don, that's so much like what I would say in that situation. :lol:
I once actually laughed at myself after a clumsy stumble, not realizing I had sustained a major injury. Ahh, good times.
Chip,

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, when one fumbles, I've found that a little humility is good.

Hope to see you on the trail one day.

dn

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » April 26th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 2:16 pm
BTW, the property owner Pirfil "Pete" Cam has the property listed for sale, 165 acres for $5.5M. I guess he's trying to unload it to a developer for housing but I sure wouldn't want to live so close to all those power lines.
I wonder if a group like Friends of the Gorge or WTA would be able/want to partner up and purchase the piece of land to make Table's old access legal again?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 27th, 2018, 4:24 pm

acorn woodpecker wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 12:21 pm
Don Nelsen wrote:
BTW, the property owner Pirfil "Pete" Cam has the property listed for sale, 165 acres for $5.5M. I guess he's trying to unload it to a developer for housing but I sure wouldn't want to live so close to all those power lines.
I wonder if a group like Friends of the Gorge or WTA would be able/want to partner up and purchase the piece of land to make Table's old access legal again?
That would be a great thing if they could put some deal together with Cam. At least for the eastern section of the three properties that comprise what he has on the market. There is a large area of relatively flat ground that would make a great parking area/TH and restore this traditional approach to Table and Aldrich et al.

The home and property just to the east of the Cam acreage was offered a few months ago by another property owner for $500k and I looked at it and considered buying it to put in a trail and restore access but by the time I sat on the thought for awhile someone else bought it for $425 and that was that. I really didn't need another home (especially not so close to power lines!) but it could have been a great rental.

Anyway, once Hamilton Creek drys up and it can be crossed easily, the problem is solved at least from mid-summer to when the rains start again.

dn

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » April 27th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
April 27th, 2018, 4:24 pm
acorn woodpecker wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 12:21 pm
Don Nelsen wrote:
That would be a great thing if they could put some deal together with Cam. At least for the eastern section of the three properties that comprise what he has on the market. There is a large area of relatively flat ground that would make a great parking area/TH and restore this traditional approach to Table and Aldrich et al.

The home and property just to the east of the Cam acreage was offered a few months ago by another property owner for $500k and I looked at it and considered buying it to put in a trail and restore access but by the time I sat on the thought for awhile someone else bought it for $425 and that was that. I really didn't need another home (especially not so close to power lines!) but it could have been a great rental.

Anyway, once Hamilton Creek drys up and it can be crossed easily, the problem is solved at least from mid-summer to when the rains start again.

dn
Looking at that piece of property online got me thinking that it would have made for great access.

That would have been amazing if you could have purchased that piece of land the east! You could have set up a land trust and had your very own trail. From Dick Thomas Trail to Don Nelsen Trail! :lol:

Shhh, don't tell anyone about the Hamilton Creek option! ;)

zackcg

Post by zackcg » May 2nd, 2018, 8:24 am

Table mtn is one of my favorite hikes on the WA side of the gorge. Nice report. I think I may have missed the news about the parking situation changing... seems we can no longer park for the day at the aldrich butte access area - Bummer. What about parking at the bonneville hot springs (even though its not called that nor is it used as that anymore)?

-Z

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 2nd, 2018, 9:12 am

The Bonneville Hot Springs is being converted into some kind of rehab facility and all the hiker parking has been eliminated, so currently the Dick Thomas Trail is no longer an option. At this time, the only open TH Table Mountain is Bonneville Dam on SR 14.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased