Rogue River Trail from Grave Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ghsmith76

Re: Rogue River Trail from Grave Creek

Post by ghsmith76 » April 5th, 2018, 7:16 am

My loop trip was in early May and I would have to say that conditions then were very similar to what I observed last week. So I would say do the loop sooner then later for reasons of heat and access to water up above. The 2 mule creek crossings presented some challenge but only that you needed to get wet, which is why I have my Crocs. Hanging Rock is the ultimate reward.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » May 7th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Okay, just got back from the Wild Rogue River Loop hike. I might do a trip report proper, but for future readers of this thread:

Started at Tucker Flat campground and went counter-clockwise. Creek crossings required shoes-off, but were not "challenging" per se. No water on trail between Panther Camp near Buck Point to Thomas Homestead. I would very much hate to have to go *up* Clay Hill hauling extra water, so please go counter-clockwise if you are at all sane. Got 3 ticks, 2 cold beers from Paradise Bar Lodge, 1 lightning show, and saw tens of thousands of irises. Do you like irises? IRISES!!

No other hikers seen on the loop portion, but a dozen or more on the Rogue River trail, and gobs of boaters and floaters.

Also worth noting that road there was passable in a low-clearance coup. There were of course potholes, but not the car-wrecking kind. If i can do it, i'm sure you can too.

Thanks again for mentioning this. I would never have known.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 8th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Thanks

I did that exact trip about a month ago, except I only got 2 ticks.