GoalTechHikes Latourell Falls - Nobody there...almost

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

GoalTechHikes Latourell Falls - Nobody there...almost

Post by mjirving » March 25th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Latourell Falls
“Finishing up my entire hike of the open trails in the Oregon Gorge” 

3/24/18
Rating: 3 Stars

Miles: 3.5
Time: 1 hrs, 20 min
Avg MPH: 2.6
Elev Min: 140’
Elev Max: 835’
Total Ascent: 925’
Start Time: 7:55 am
Temp Low: 35
Temp High: 40
Other hikers: 4 (at the base of the falls)
Female hikers: 50%
Longest time without seeing a hiker: 1:15
Wildlife: Robin birds
Parking Permit Required: No
Parking Lot: Paved with space for about 15 cars
Bathrooms: Pit toilets

Eagle Creek burn * Latourell Falls * Snow * Upper Latourell Falls

Opening Shot: Latourell Falls

After finishing my warm-up hike at Bridal Veil Falls, I drove the short distance to the trailhead of Latourell Falls, just west, down the Historic Columbia Highway a few miles. Along the way, I caught my first glimpses of the edges of the Eagle Creek fire from last summer. It appeared that the highway was a nice, natural fire break.

It further looked like the “edge” due to the trees only being burned on the fire-side of the fire, and not on the highway side.

I arrived at Guy W. Talbot State Park for my hike. This is the name of the man/family that originally donated this land back to the State to be used for recreational purposes. Latourell falls is a 249’ waterfall that is just off the main road, so even if not doing the hike, it’s an impressive falls to visit only 100 yards from the parking lot.

Last time I was here I went counter-clockwise, so I mixed it up and went clockwise this time. I was fortunate that I had pretty decent weather on this day that had a fair bit of rain. Up the side trail to the left, I got a side angle view of these pretty falls.

The trail curled around to the top of the falls, but as is typical, the views from the top aren’t terribly impressive, just a nice view of the parking lot. Continuing up the trail, it runs close and parallel to Latourell Creek. The elevation increases from the top of the falls, but at a very gradual rate. Just before reaching the Upper Latourell Falls, I saw a dusting of snow,

juxtaposed with the fresh blooms of Western Trillium.

Upper Latourell Falls is no slouch either. It has a similar look to it as Bridal Veil Falls.

From here I crossed the creek to head back. There were a few muddy sections on the way back, not terribly bad, but if you want to avoid it all-together, then go back on the east side or wait for the trail to dry up a bit.

My flower for the trip down was the early buds from what I believe are Salmonberry bushes.

About 1/2-way down there is a short side-trail loop that drops down to a natural, rocky platform that overlooks the top of the falls and down to the base. Not a terribly good view, but better than from the top on the other side.

The trail then loops wide to the west in a big switchback, away from the creek. I caught a view of the snow on the other side of the Gorge.

The trail drops down to the highway and crosses it to resume on the other side, where it drops down to a picnic area, and then back around to wind under the beautiful arching highway bridge.

After passing under the bridge, I arrived at the base of the falls and another bridge to get back over the creek. There were 4 people here which summed up the grand total of all the hikers I saw on this hike. So much for the trail being overcrowded (granted it was early still on a cold day with chance of rain).

On a warmer day, it would be fun to venture closer to the pool where the falls come crashing down.

A quick walk up brought me back to the parking area with the nice interpretive signs that explain all the history of the area, with the falls perfectly framed.

There you have it…I successfully hiked every mile of open trail on the Oregon side of the Columbia Gorge. I’m exhausted! (well…not really)

Summary:
This is another easily accessible hike, that is very straight-forward with a big bang for the buck with 2 impressive waterfalls.

Favorite experience of the day:
Being out by the upper falls with no one else around.

Least favorite experience of the day:
The mud required a little careful footing, but it wasn’t too bad.

Today's elevation:

Google Earth with Track:

Video Clip:
2018-03-24 Latourell Falls from Michael Irving on Vimeo.

-GoalTech
www.GoalTechHikes.com
@goaltechhikes (Instagram)

Chip Down

Re: GoalTechHikes Latourell Falls - Nobody there...almost

Post by Chip Down » March 27th, 2018, 4:29 am

On a warmer day, it would be fun to venture closer to the pool where the falls come crashing down.
Or on a much much colder day ;)

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 27th, 2018, 4:33 am

Yes, that too. ;-)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 27th, 2018, 8:22 am

Hey Mike, judging by your GPS track, it looks like you took a kayak off the top of the falls. How was it? :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 27th, 2018, 11:06 am

It was a real thrill going down...the hard part was getting back up. ;-)

I guess that’s an indication of how close I was to the edge.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 27th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Thanks for this TR. It's good to know there are at least a few OR hikes out there.

DN
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 27th, 2018, 6:47 pm

You bet! It'll be interesting to see where people venture out this year. I've got a couple more "Oregon Hikes" up my sleeve for hopefully this weekend. Two new ones for me.

Mike

Thuja

Post by Thuja » April 5th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Last edited by Thuja on March 8th, 2019, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 5th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Awesome...thanks for the confirmation!

Mike

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » April 6th, 2018, 5:30 pm

mjirving wrote:Least favorite experience of the day:
The mud required a little careful footing, but it wasn’t too bad.
Definitely worth noting. I had a small, slo-mo slip in the mud there at the beginning of February--not even enough to justify calling it a "fall"--that managed to tear up my shoulder. It's still messed up.

Those overly-familiar, easy trails where you don't really think about needing to be careful can get you.