GoalTech hikes Bridal Veil Loop - Snow in the hills

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

GoalTech hikes Bridal Veil Loop - Snow in the hills

Post by mjirving » March 24th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Bridal Veil Falls
“Hiking every open trail in the Oregon Gorge in one day” 

(Well...it's not much, but it's a start)

3/24/18
Rating: 3 Stars
Miles: 1.4
Time: 35 min
Avg MPH: 2.3
Elev Min: 45’
Elev Max: 305’
Total Ascent: 370’
Start Time: 7:00am
Temp Low: 35
Temp High: 35
Other hikers: 2
Female hikers: 50%
Longest time without seeing a hiker: 0:25
Wildlife: Singing birds at sunrise
Parking Permit Required: No
Bathrooms: Toilets, running water, powered hand driers
Parking Lot: Paved space for about 20 cars

Bridal Veil B&B * Columbia River * Bridal Veil Falls * Old Flume

Opening Shot: Bridal Veil Falls

It’s spring break and time to kick off hiking season. Of course that means I was met with snow in the foothills of the Gorge. This was my first time into the Gorge since I helped my brother evacuate his house during the Eagle Creek fire last summer (fortunately the fire never reached his house, just raining ash). I decided to really go for it, and hike every mile of open trail on the Oregon side of the Columbia Gorge. And how will I imagine to accomplish this grand challenge you say? Well…let’s just say, the whole adventure will only take a couple of hours.

As I pulled off the exit on I-84, I passed the road-closed sign for the Historic Columbia River Highway going east from here which has been closed since the fire.

I drove west and passed one of the many closed trailheads in the Gorge from the devastating Eagle Creek fire last summer. Angel’s Rest is one of the most popular hikes in the Gorge typically.

With only 2 trailheads open, I knew I better get here early. (Which is just another excuse to go hiking at the crack of dawn like I like to anyway!) I was the first person to park at the trailhead, just across the highway from the Bridal Veil B&B.

This was to be a pretty short hike, so I left my pack and my trekking poles behind. I figured I’d be able to navigate the paved pathway without getting lost or hungry! This is the first time I’ve hiked this trail actually. The upper path to the west is flat, paved and super easy. It offers several nice overlooks to the river below. My first view showed the snow in the hills on the other side of the Columbia.

I went clockwise, and saw views to the west toward Portland.

To the east I could see a snow-capped Angel’s Rest. My goal for this Oregon side is to immediately hike each trail as it re-opens over the years ahead. They seem to have hope in getting at least a few open this spring/summer, most notably, the Pacific Crest Trail.

After completing my upper loop, the paved path transitioned to gravel as it switchbacked down to the base of Bridal Veil Falls and Creek.

Crossing the bridge I could see there was a use-path that cut through, closer to the railroad, so I cut through there to investigate. I saw the remnants of an old flume used to log timber down to the river. This structure, in its sorry state, was about all that was left.

Looping around back to the bridge, I could see Bridal Veil Falls up ahead through the trees.

Just past the bridge was the overlook of the 100’ falls.

I dropped down below the platform, to the pool of water, for one more angle of the falls.

On my way back up to the parking area, I saw my first flowers, just starting to peek out for the spring.

Summary:
This is a very easy hike that involves the tiniest bit of effort, with a waterfall payoff. It's perfect for a quick stop, passing through.

Favorite experience of the day:
Seeing the falls.

Least favorite experience of the day:
Seeing the dumping ground by the old flume.

Today's route (clockwise):

Today's elevation:

Google Earth with Track:

-GoalTech
www.GoalTechHikes.com
@goaltechhikes (Instagram)