Chehalem Glenn Loop and kestrel sighting - 3/10/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Chehalem Glenn Loop and kestrel sighting - 3/10/18

Post by justpeachy » March 15th, 2018, 7:47 am

On Saturday I was in Newberg picking up some wine and I needed a leg-stretcher. Thanks to bobcat the field guide has a loop around the Chehalem Glenn Golf Course, so I gave that a try.

I parked at PCC and then headed down the Gettman Loop:

A nice trail heads down the west side of the golf course:

Then it turns left and heads into the trees:

The trail turns left again and heads north. One patch of woodland had this swath of fresh green growth. A sight for sore eyes!

At this point the walk heads through The Greens housing development and over to Schaad Park, which occupies a hillside above the development:

Passed this blooming tree, another sight for sore eyes!

Back into the housing development then one last woodsy stretch:

Then it was a quiet walk down Werth Blvd back to my car. Just before reaching the PCC parking lot I spotted a bird up in a tree. Clouds had rolled in and the light was terrible. I couldn't tell what kind of bird it was but zoomed in as much as my camera would allow and got some shots. When I got home and downloaded the photos (and consulted my sister the bird expert) I saw that it was a kestrel. Neato!

This was a pleasant four-mile walk. If you find yourself in wine country and in need of some exercise check it out.

mjirving

Re: Chehalem Glenn Loop and kestrel sighting - 3/10/18

Post by mjirving » March 15th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Nice! You traversed over a couple of my 5K lunch runs
I do from work. I feel fortunate to have those paths so close that I can run them straight from the office door. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the kestrel!

-Mike aka GoalTech

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 18th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Cool that you did this hike! I added the Newberg hikes to the Field Guide because one of my projects is to get in hikes from Oregon's 30 largest cities (Newberg is #23). I still have to investigate Medford, Springfield, Grants Pass, Redmond, Klamath Falls, and Ashland.

The purpose of the project is just as you used it: you end up in a strange city, and you just want to walk for 2 - 3 hours in a (partially) natural environment.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 19th, 2018, 6:44 pm

bobcat wrote:one of my projects is to get in hikes from Oregon's 30 largest cities
Cool project! Thanks for putting all these city hikes in the field guide. I look forward to trying out more of them. :D

markesc

Post by markesc » March 23rd, 2018, 10:20 pm

Nice bird find!

Kestrals typically hang out in the same areas, so you can always go back for future observation.

They tend to be rather skittish, but it looks like that nest will keep 'em around and likely more approachable :mrgreen: