Badger Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Badger Creek

Post by retired jerry » March 26th, 2018, 1:37 pm

http://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

click on "USGS Topo"

snow level currently 2500'

if you go up the ridge to the north (the Flag Point ridge) the slope generally faces south so melts off quicker

birdhiker

Post by birdhiker » March 27th, 2018, 7:40 am

I was out there on the 10th as well. I hiked Smock Prairie and had very little snow, then drove up from Rock Creek Res to School Canyon (passed your TH and saw the cars, wondered how the hike was) with no issues, even on the steep downgrade there at Badger Ck and Little Badger Ck. Some snow patches on the road, but no issue for a Subaru type vehicle. FR 27 around School Canyon had no snow.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » March 27th, 2018, 10:35 am

birdhiker wrote:I was out there on the 10th as well. I hiked Smock Prairie and had very little snow, then drove up from Rock Creek Res to School Canyon (passed your TH and saw the cars, wondered how the hike was) with no issues, even on the steep downgrade there at Badger Ck and Little Badger Ck. Some snow patches on the road, but no issue for a Subaru type vehicle. FR 27 around School Canyon had no snow.
So great to know. I think once this most recent snow passes, I will head out that way.
Colette Grace

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 2nd, 2018, 6:44 am

I'm writing this on May 2, has anybody been here lately? Last post was in March.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 2nd, 2018, 7:16 am

I was wondering that too

Last half of trail to lake is snow covered, several feet deep at lake

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 2nd, 2018, 7:33 am

retired jerry wrote:
May 2nd, 2018, 7:16 am
I was wondering that too

Last half of trail to lake is snow covered, several feet deep at lake
That map does not look promising.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

wendyr

Post by wendyr » May 2nd, 2018, 6:13 pm

We camped and hiked in the area last weekend and most of the wilderness appears to be snow free. We camped near Little Badger Campground and hiked the Tygh Creek trail and didn't encounter any snow at either location. From the high point we reached on the Tygh Creek trail it appeared that there was still snow on the Flag Point ridgeline but not much lower than that. Hiking on a Saturday we saw zero people on the Tygh Creek trail and zero cars at the School Canyon trailhead. Can't speak specifically to the Badger Creek trail but I can't imagine there is much snow left.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 6th, 2018, 10:08 am

Thank you for your update. I wonder how much differences in location will matter, I'm not familiar with your hike. It's been a long time since I've been on the Badger Creek Trail. If I remember correctly there are not many open areas, not under the cover of trees.

drm

Post by drm » May 6th, 2018, 3:43 pm

5 weeks ago Badger Creek was melted out half way to the lake. Certainly there has been plenty of melting since then. My wild guess is that there would be snow the last mile or two. I might go and check it out next weekend if the forecast holds.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 6th, 2018, 5:58 pm

drm wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 3:43 pm
I might go and check it out next weekend if the forecast holds.
I hope you can make it. It's quite a drive for us, to find out a large area is snowed in.