Silver Falls Perimeter Trail Loop 3/07/2018

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jime

Silver Falls Perimeter Trail Loop 3/07/2018

Post by jime » March 8th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Short report on the Perimeter Trail conditions, but first a picture on the North Falls from the rim trail. Because a Silver Falls Park report must include a falls picture,

The Silver Falls State Park Perimeter Trail is a nice winter hike that dives into the backcountry of the park. You won't find waterfalls up there, but maybe some solitude and old growth forest. Encountered some snow along the way, but never more than about eight inches. No problems even without traction. Here's a picture of pretty much the most snow at the bridge across the upper reaches of the South Fork Silver Creek.

Looking down stream from the bridge.

Saw fresh deer & elk tracks in the snow. And some that were maybe bobcat tracks!

This loop was just over 11 miles. Didn't see anyone else until the last stretch on the rim trail near the North Falls. A pretty nice hike.
Parked at the North Falls parking lot ($5 day fee).

bobcat

Re: Silver Falls Perimeter Trail Loop 3/07/2018

Post by bobcat » March 13th, 2018, 7:17 am

Thanks for posting about this little-known option. It offers something of a little length in the dull days of winter!

arlohike

Post by arlohike » March 26th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Cool. I just did the waterfall loop for the first time recently and was thinking of checking out this trail next. Do you know what your total climbing amount was?
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

markesc

Post by markesc » March 27th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Bet there's some good wildlife action / peace n quiet! I'll have to check this out, thanks for posting!

jime

Post by jime » March 28th, 2018, 7:01 pm

arlohike - This loop has it's ups and downs; almost 2,000' cumulative elevation gain when I checked my track. Didn't really feel like that much though, due to the trail grade.

marksec - Saw lots of animal tracks in the snow. There's a stuffed cougar in the lodge! And a stuffed "Sparred" Owl. They said a ranger's truck ran into the owl. At first they couldn't ID the owl, but eventually determined that it was a cross between a Barred Owl and Spotted Owl.

Enjoy!