Winter Camping at Coyote Lake, Mt. Jefferson

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cunningkeith

Winter Camping at Coyote Lake, Mt. Jefferson

Post by cunningkeith » February 13th, 2018, 4:34 pm

I took advantage of this nice weather and headed up to Coyote Lake, my favorite snow camping spot.

I hiked from Pamelia Lake to the PCT and then south to Coyote Lake. I was shocked at how little snow there was. There was basically nothing but a few minor patches until about two miles before Coyote Lake. There was a decent base at Coyote Lake, but it took a long time to reach it.

The hike to Pamelia Lake was lovely as always. I've done this hike in the past where I've had to park a mile+ before the trailhead because of snow. But it was smooth all the way to the lot with zero cars.

Pamelia Lake

I reached the PCT and saw that there is still a "fire closure"! I was heading south, so it didn't affect me because it applied only to NB traffic. But really? A fire closure in February? I realize that burn areas can be dangerous but I suspect the manager of Willamette NF has gone overboard on the closures (much of the Willamette NF half of Three Sisters is closed too). Do they think about the costs that these closures put on recreational users? I just imagine somebody in an office in Springfield circling a map and murmuring, "Better safe than sorry. Close her up for a year." Are they really going to keep it closed once thru hikers appear in the summer?

PCT trail closure

Coyote Lake with Jefferson and Goat Peak in the background

I explored the tarns around Goat Peak

The hike to the pumice butte to the south above Coyote Lake and Shale Lake is a steady up, but it provides great views to Hunts Cove and to the south.

Sunset toward Three Fingered Jack

kelkev

Re: Winter Camping at Coyote Lake, Mt. Jefferson

Post by kelkev » February 14th, 2018, 5:54 am

Wow, that is very little snow. That stretch between Coyote/Shale/Mudhole Lakes and the overlook of Hunts Cove is magical. One of my very favorite places. Thanks for sharing.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 14th, 2018, 7:18 am

Maybe it was closed last summer, and then the snows came so they didn't remove sign

That's a case where if I felt like going there I might ignore that

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » February 14th, 2018, 10:17 pm

retired jerry wrote:Maybe it was closed last summer, and then the snows came so they didn't remove sign

That's a case where if I felt like going there I might ignore that
I wish you were right, but unfortunately there are still active "fire closures" around Mt. Jefferson and Three Sisters.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamet ... eprd552029

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 15th, 2018, 5:49 am

Maybe they haven't updated the website?

That's a case where if I felt like going there I might ignore that :)

Maybe the team that approves ending closures is busy guarding the gorge :twisted:

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » February 15th, 2018, 6:24 am

I'm sensing a pattern. :lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 15th, 2018, 6:55 am

I had a plan to go up to Shale Lake and beyond to see the eclipse which got changed because of the fire closure, maybe now is the time to go back up, really nice territory up there :)

I'm also tempted to go up to the Zigzag ridge based on Pablo's report, no closures there

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 15th, 2018, 8:37 am

Those trails ARE still closed. Inciweb sez:
The following trails and roads will definitely remain closed until spring to allow for hazard tree removal and public safety.

Trails:
Cheat Creek #3441
Triangulation Peak #3373
Pacific Crest Trail from intersection of Whitewater Trail #3429 to intersection of Hunts Creek #3440
Whitewater #3429
Woodpecker #3442

Roads:
Whitewater Rd. #2243 beyond the junction with FDR #440
FDR #440 for its entire length from beginning at the intersection with Whitewater Rd. #2243
Woodpecker Rd. #040 beyond the junction with FDR #044 Road closure in the Scorpion Fire area – FDR #812 for its entire length from the beginning at the intersection with FDR #4698

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 15th, 2018, 10:34 am

The following trails and roads will definitely remain closed until spring

Not only does this mean that the Forest Service will consider itself absolved of any liability if Retired Jerry is injured or killed this winter while exploring one of those trails listed by Willamette NF as closed, but that if he were to encounter a backcountry ranger while snowshoeing around on such a trail, he might be ticketed and fined. Because of this, I would strongly advise Retired Jerry to snowshoe only off-trail in those areas!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 15th, 2018, 12:46 pm

how far off the trail, technically, do I have to be to avoid ticket and fine? :twisted:

(actually, there are lots of places I can go that are okay)