Winter Camping at Coyote Lake, Mt. Jefferson

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cunningkeith

Re: Winter Camping at Coyote Lake, Mt. Jefferson

Post by cunningkeith » February 16th, 2018, 6:45 am

adamschneider wrote:Those trails ARE still closed. Inciweb sez:
The following trails and roads will definitely remain closed until spring to allow for hazard tree removal and public safety.

So the Willamette NF closure around Jefferson remains in effect "until spring" and the one in Three Sisters (a long section of the PCT in that area) is in effect until July 1. Seriously? No doubt that the chances of actual enforcement are minuscule. But still, it's annoying. And it will become more of a problem as this low snowpack melts.

romann

Post by romann » February 17th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Spectacular pictures! I like hiking in snow, but still have to try this snow camping thing. Very inspiring trip report.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 10th, 2018, 10:40 am

Awesome pictures! Camping at Coyote Lake in the snow looks like a lot of fun. I've only seen Coyote Lake in the fall when it's not more than a muddy puddle.

Thanks for sharing!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 11th, 2018, 8:43 am

I think we're about to see a big money grab by USFS for those who want to go hiking. These closures went into affect ahead of the fires to limit eclipse viewers last August (perhaps you remeber all of the closures that went into effect less than 7 days before the eclipse). Willamette NF is looking at charging you $8 to get each and every permit to go hiking starting in 2019. I guess they figure on keeping the forests closed until that permit system goes into effect. (go ahead, prove me wrong and reopen the forests...I dare you).

We're seeing the same thing at Dog Mtn. where the trailhead that they had been charging $5 was partially owned by the railroad, so they shrank the parking lot and instituted a strange $1.50 permit that only guarantees that you can hike but does not guarantee you a parking spot that will cost you an additional $5.

I wonder what they have in store for the Oregon side of the Gorge once it opens.

Back in the 1990s, Mt. Hood NF tried to insitute an across-the-board restricted entry plan but 96% of the respondents said "no" which made them withdraw it. I guess in the current administration, the public's input is not important unless they can pony up a million dollars (or more?) each.

Again, prove me wrong...I dare you. Make the public land free and accessible to the public. I dare you, USFS, I'm betting you can't deny the temptation to make money.

markesc

Post by markesc » April 11th, 2018, 8:41 pm

BigBear wrote:I think we're about to see a big money grab by USFS for those who want to go hiking. These closures went into affect ahead of the fires to limit eclipse viewers last August (perhaps you remeber all of the closures that went into effect less than 7 days before the eclipse). Willamette NF is looking at charging you $8 to get each and every permit to go hiking starting in 2019. I guess they figure on keeping the forests closed until that permit system goes into effect. (go ahead, prove me wrong and reopen the forests...I dare you).

We're seeing the same thing at Dog Mtn. where the trailhead that they had been charging $5 was partially owned by the railroad, so they shrank the parking lot and instituted a strange $1.50 permit that only guarantees that you can hike but does not guarantee you a parking spot that will cost you an additional $5.

I wonder what they have in store for the Oregon side of the Gorge once it opens.

Back in the 1990s, Mt. Hood NF tried to insitute an across-the-board restricted entry plan but 96% of the respondents said "no" which made them withdraw it. I guess in the current administration, the public's input is not important unless they can pony up a million dollars (or more?) each.

Again, prove me wrong...I dare you. Make the public land free and accessible to the public. I dare you, USFS, I'm betting you can't deny the temptation to make money.
It starts with stuff like this: https://www.opb.org/news/article/trump- ... bpa-again/

and ends up like this eventually: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/09/gree ... ic-assets/

Enjoy: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gens0cY9BAc