Ramona Falls 1/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Ramona Falls 1/14

Post by pdxgene » January 15th, 2018, 9:35 am

If you have any plans on trying this over the winter I have a pretty detailed look at the only safe looking crossing of the Sandy in the album linked below.
Keep in mind a couple things...
Lots of icy patches and snow. The gate is closed at the Sandy River bridge for cars. Add about 2.5 miles of walking the road to the trailhead each way. There were no footprints once I made the turn at the trail junction on the other side of the Sandy but I know that route pretty well so it was easy for me. I really wished I had brought snowshoes though at that point. I knew once I got to the canyon itself the snow would be gone but it was questionable if that was gonna happen. it took six hours roundtrip with a handful of 5-10 minute breaks. And the part to the trailhead was only 45 minutes each way so trail going was sloooooow...
And while I was taking those pictures of the crossing a couple huge boulders tumbled down off the ledge just out of camera range. Don't try and create your own way out....
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101 ... sqO7v9jJIK

I went out and back the slightly longer way thru the canyon along Ramona Creek, not the PCT. I have no idea how that stretch was but in past years the snow has been deeper from what others I've met at the falls have said. Didn't see anyone for almost the first five hours yesterday...

ghsmith76

Re: Ramona Falls 1/14

Post by ghsmith76 » January 24th, 2018, 9:03 am

Thanks for the trip report. I was wondering about access to Ramona Falls, however, I assume recent snow fall may change this access.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org