Hidden Lake Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Thomas M

Hidden Lake Trail

Post by Thomas M » January 15th, 2018, 9:04 am

Sunday Jan 14.....nice day for an hike up the Hidden Lake Trail. The trail head is located on an old section of Highway 26, just past the Paradise Park TH and the Kiwanis Camp. There is some snow on the trail here and there to the lake. The lake is frozen over. As the snow increases, it's not much of a problem as the trail had been broken by former hikers. I followed boot tracks up to about 4900 feet and a very large boulder. After that I had to break trail. I didn't bring my snowshoes so it was slow going, post-holing one step at a time. Occasionally, I would see trail signs like a bit of bare trail, blazes or trimmed tree branches so I kept more or less on course. Using a former GPS waypoint, I found the trail sign at the Timberline Trail junction. There the snow was about 3 feet deep. There were no signs of passage on the Timberline. I bundled up to enjoy a nice lunch and hot drink. The silence and beauty of the forest was well appreciated. Next time out I think I will snowshoe over to that area and explore a little above tree line for some good views of Mt. Hood.
Last edited by Thomas M on January 15th, 2018, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdxgene

Re: Hidden Lake Trail

Post by pdxgene » January 15th, 2018, 9:27 am

Damn, good job. There was a lot more snow than I expected too. I would've never made it to Burnt Lake with no snowshoes based on the conditions going to Ramona Falls.

Guy

Re: Hidden Lake Trail

Post by Guy » January 16th, 2018, 5:52 am

Getting up to the Timberline trail without snow shoes, that's no mean feat Thomas. I've only ever come down this trail actually.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors