Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trips » Trip Reports

Post subject: Hardy Ridge, Phlox Point, a bit of snow, lots of clouds
 Post Posted: January 6th, 2018, 10:30 pm 

First hike of 2018! :D

Wanted to see Phlox Point under snow. From Equestrian Trailhead, took the trail that goes up the west side of Hardy Ridge. Where it crosses the ridge at 2500', I was surprised at how little snow I had seen, but I soon encountered significant snow as I ascended the ridge to Phlox Point. It was intermittent though. Mostly, the ridge crest was wind scoured. I was a little disappointed. I had no views, and without the heavy snow I was expecting, there wasn't much reason to be there.

For my descent, I dropped back the way I came, but at the junction I turned left and took the east trail. It was much snowier than the west side, which pleased me. This was my first time on the east side of Hardy ridge. I explored some side roads and trails, but for the most part I took a fairly direct return to the TH. As predicted, it was drizzly in the am, dry and mostly cloudy in the pm. It would have been a better hike if I started later, but with these short days near the solstice, it's best to get an early start.

I want to go back on a clear day. I've been to Phlox Point twice now, and have enjoyed just spotty views. I want an opportunity to linger, sit on the rocks, soak in the sun.

File comment: Looking up at Phlox Point.
0.jpg
0.jpg [ 390.25 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: Coming down now.
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 656.56 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 696.91 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: A little lower on the descent, where the trail briefly ascends.
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 848.41 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: Recommended pairing for a 6 month old IPA: cheese puffs past their BB date. It wasn't even noon yet, but I suspected this would be my last opportunity of the day to sit on somewhat dry rocks.
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 773.09 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: A snowy trail through a mostly-bare forest.
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 492.16 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: Complete opposite of the above pic.
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 962.68 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: Boot Rock! I've seen pics of it, so immediately recognized it. I didn't know it was on this trail though, so quite a surprise.
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 964.7 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: The insanely elaborate expensive bridge over modest Hardy Creek. Shocked at how much snow was down in this valley. Ground was completely bare in other places at this elevation.
8.jpg
8.jpg [ 718.27 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: A little off-trail exploring in the big rocky clearing just north of the TH.
9.jpg
9.jpg [ 259.76 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Hardy Ridge, Phlox Point, a bit of snow, lots of clouds
 Post Posted: January 7th, 2018, 5:05 pm 

You have to be the #1 Trip report poster here these days Chip - Thanks!

I'm laid up at home feeling sorry for myself with a winter bug and missing my Sunday in the wild.

Thanks for the pics.

Post Posted: January 7th, 2018, 6:35 pm 

Guy wrote:
You have to be the #1 Trip report poster here these days Chip - Thanks!

What I lack in quality I make up for in quantity. ;)

Post Posted: January 8th, 2018, 11:04 am 

Chip, glad to see the boot is still there. It went missing for awhile a few years ago (or maybe it was knocked over and under snow when I went by)

Quality of your TRs is fine. Very good narrative - please keep it up.

dn

Board index » Trips » Trip Reports