Eagle Cap Wilderness Backpack 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
SWOFWP

Eagle Cap Wilderness Backpack 2017

Post by SWOFWP » December 11th, 2017, 7:35 am

I have finally gotten around to writing up our return trip to the Eagle Cap Wilderness area, this time we hiked in the Main Eagle Creek Trail and explored Lookingglass, Culver, Eagle, Cached, Heart and Arrow Lakes, as well as an attempt at a Needlepoint summit. I included some of the GAIA tracks I did and write up our itinerary. Can't wait to go back and explore more!

http://www.musthikemusteat.com/eagle-cap-day-1-2017/
A PNW born and raised outdoor adventurer sharing stories and healthy recipes.

roninor

Re: Eagle Cap Wilderness Backpack 2017

Post by roninor » December 16th, 2017, 6:17 pm

A bit early for this roundtrip around Cache Lake over the Bench Canyon Trail and down through Heart/Arrow back to Main Eagle. Usually try and not go up there until after 8-1. If you continue up the faint trail into Copper Creek Basin you're in for a real treat. Huge bowl with a waterfall at the head. There's an old mining trail that goes up over the falls and if you continue up this trail and keep close watch up the hill to the left you'll see a huge ledge of snow white quartz. Huge thing with several prospect holes. Also in a draw coming into the basin from the south is remnants of a couple of cabins that were built back in the late 40's or 50's to try and develop a uranium mine (believe it or not) this was back before the area was a designated wilderness but a primitive area.

Beautiful country that I've been back packing, horsepacking, etc. since the late 1940's.