Cedar Mt, then Table via Westway

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Cedar Mt, then Table via Westway

Post by Chip Down » December 9th, 2017, 10:28 pm

I recently saw pics of Cedar Mountain that made me realize I desperately wanted to hike that beautiful ridgecest from Cedar Creek Falls to the PCT.

NOAA said a bit breezy, and some sun breaks. Not bad for december. But by the time I hit Waushougal, it was already gusty enough that driving took a little extra care. Fortunately I brought plenty of extra clothing, so it all went into the pack.

My first anxiety was getting across Cedar Creek. I've seen pics of it trickling, and I've seen pics of it raging. Today, after a few days of freezing temps and no rain, it was an easy hop across. Total time spent sizing up options and executing the best was maybe two minutes.

My second anxiety was finding the ridgecrest. I didn't know if/where I'd have benefit of a trail, but I figured worst-case I'd just bushwhack my way up from the creek. But there was a trail, and I was lucky enough to find my way up to the ridgecrest. Ascending the ridge was pretty much as expected, starting in forest but soon opening up to meadowy stretches. It was everything I had hoped for. Still, it would have been nicer if it wasn't all drab and wintery. Maybe someday I'll come back when it's verdant and the sky is blue. I don't mind the grey sky so much, but the matted brown meadows weren't ideal.

My third anxiety was the big flat saddle where I wondered if I might struggle to find the second half of the ridge that would take me to PCT. Well, I needn't have worried. The "trail" was fairly easy to follow. Required a little attention, and a little patience when it seems to be too far east, but sure enough, it ended up on ridgecrest again.

Two surprises on Cedar Mt: I didn't expect the trail to be so clear, and I didn't realize how narrow/steep the crest is in many places.

I arrived at the PCT surprisingly early, so I decided to cross it and keep going straight up. As I crossed PCT the trail ceased to be Cedar Mt Trail and became Westway Trail up Table Mt. I had enjoyed a respite from the wind at the PCT junction and up the lower forested part of Westway, but as the trail emeged into open rocky terrain it was back into the wind. On Cedar Mt ridge, I had been able to drop off the ridgecrest when I wanted a windbreak, but up here it just wasn't practical, so I was grateful when I spotted the windbreak rocks I had read about. I ducked over to the west side and sat for a spell.

Continuing up, I encountered increasing snow, and lost my way. I wasn't paying attention, and found myself at the top of Heartbreak Trail. Rather than backtracking to see if I could find the last little stretch of Westway, I just headed up in the general direction of the Westway summit cairn. My sense of direction was pretty good; I ran into Westway Trail just a few yards below the top.

From the top of Westway, I went off in search of the Table Mt table. I didn't bother trying to find the trail, I just headed off in what felt like the right direction. After quite a bit of trudging through snow with poor visibility, I gave up. I know how fast blowing snow can fill in footprints, and I didn't want to get lost on top of Table (the plateau is so small, one probably couldn't get lost up there, but I was starting to worry). So I followed my footprints back all the way to the top of Heartbreak, and then followed the trail up to the table. From there, I went in search of my failure footprints. Didn't take long; I had come shockingly close. I don't regret giving up though, as I had curved a bit north, so wasn't even headed the right direction. I might have fared better if I had glanced at my compass.

From the table, I had planned to take the south cliff edge down to Two Chiefs, where I was going to see if I could get to the top of the south chief (having already been to the north chief recently). I scrapped that plan. I knew that route would be savagely windy, and would offer no views today.

I returned essentially the way I had ascended, with no significant variations worth mentioning. I was a little worried about descending the tricky parts of westway, having read multiple accounts of how unpleasant it can be. Hey, what do you suppose that stretch is like when covered in frost and a light dusting of new snow?

That was the worst weather I've seen on Table, and probably pretty close to the worst weather I've ever hiked in. I didn't really mind too much though. My motto for winter hikes: if it ain't rainin', I ain't complainin'. Other than the wind, it was really pretty decent. I don't mind the clouds too much, as long as there's good scenery in immediate proximity, and as long as it doesn't interfere with routefinding. And the low temps kept everything nice and dry. Query: what's the freezing point of eggnog? Seems like all that fat and sugar should lower its freezing point, but when I opened my bottle I found it a wee bit slushy.

Incidentally, I had considered doing Birkenfeld Mt today. It would have been less miles and elevation gain, but the summit is higher than Table. Likely would have encountered a miserable combination of temps, wind, and snow depth. I think I'll save that for next summer.
Attachments
Stormbreaker Winter Coat.jpg
A double layer of Stormbreaker Winter Coat seemed just the thing to keep me warm today. Ironically, the weather at the Table table was too horrible to allow lingering. The Westway/PCT junction would have been a great place for a long leisurely break, but I decided I wanted to descend via Cedar, and I didn't particularly want to stumble drunk down that ridge by headlamp.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Getting close to the windbreak rocks.
5.jpg
I wanted to go out there, but the frost and wind made me question my footing, and there would be no views today, so the risk/benefit ratio just wasn't looking good.
pct.jpg

romann

Re: Cedar Mt, then Table via Westway

Post by romann » December 12th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Nice! Cedar is one of my favorite ridge walks in that area, haven't visited it for a while.

Definitely check it when grass widows and other blooms are out. For added adventure, there's a possible loop if you go back along Hamilton Creek.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 13th, 2017, 9:27 am

Nice! Your photos inspired me to hike up Greenleaf yesterday to check out the scenery up there. I agree that Birkenfeld would not have been a good idea the day you hiked Cedar and Table. Deep snow - over a foot at 3400' on Greenleaf would have been more on Birkenfeld. However, hardly any wind.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Jim/WA

Post by Jim/WA » December 15th, 2017, 5:45 pm

I haven't been lurking on the forum much lately so maybe this is something everyone already knows: how are you accessing Cedar Ridge? I've always gone in from the powerlines below Aldrich Butte until that access was shut down.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 15th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Jim/WA wrote:I haven't been lurking on the forum much lately so maybe this is something everyone already knows: how are you accessing Cedar Ridge? I've always gone in from the powerlines below Aldrich Butte until that access was shut down.
Park along Greenleaf slough where you first cross under the power lines. Hike up the power line road past the new green gate. Where you see three pylons in a row, head up the spur road and then into the forest.

"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Jim/WA

Post by Jim/WA » December 17th, 2017, 8:36 am

Great news. Thanks!