Across the Olympics (and Back), 5: Graves Creek + Six Ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

Re: Across the Olympics (and Back), 5: Graves Creek + Six Ri

Post by RobinB » December 3rd, 2017, 1:05 pm

bobcat wrote:Why long"ish"? This was epic - enough of false modesty.
Ha, thanks! I say "ish" because this sort of hike feels like it's in a no man's land: much too short to be a proper thru hike, but a bit longer than the typical weekend backpack. The distance is perfect for me: doable in a typical vacation, but long enough to feel like an accomplishment. I'm just not totally sure how to describe it.
bobcat wrote:My only concern, if I were to partially imitate, is that descent into Seattle Creek as you describe it. I can see myself slipping down, spreading out flat, and slitting my wrist again as I did this past summer (in a similar situation) - apologies to the faint hearted here . . .
Oof! Yea, those washouts were rough. If I were going again, I'd bring a rope, or maybe just be prepared to spend a little more time looking for a safe route. But that said, I'm not the most adept scrambler, and I could imagine someone more skilled having an easy time with it. Like, I'm sure Chip Down could do it one-handed, while perhaps holding a beer in the other :)

Chip Down

Re: Across the Olympics (and Back), 5: Graves Creek + Six Ri

Post by Chip Down » December 11th, 2017, 8:48 pm

RobinB wrote: I'm sure Chip Down could do it one-handed, while perhaps holding a beer in the other :)
Ha! Depends on the day. I've actually had nearby hikers express amazement at my "crazy stunts" in situations where I feel totally at ease, but then other times I'm timid and unsure of myself, and I'll chicken out on something, only to later read a TR from somebody who did it with their six year old daughter riding piggyback. :|

Oh, I just remembered the time I passed a couple people on Ruckel Ridge with a beer in my hand. :lol:

[Yes, I'm just now getting around to reading part 5. I knew it would be long, so I kept putting it off.]