Observation Peak Trail report - from Observation Peak TH

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
MtTaborTrailRunner

Observation Peak Trail report - from Observation Peak TH

Post by MtTaborTrailRunner » October 30th, 2017, 10:03 pm

We hiked up to Observation Peak this last Saturday for an overnight trip on my birthday - we have a lovely time! Just truly amazing views. Some notes:

-we saw probably 8 people from noon Saturday to noon Sunday
-we got water from down the trail from Berry Camp - other than that we did not see any water.
-the hike is mostly in the forest until the very end - except for some very short side trail views (and probably other longer side tracks we didn't take).

Up close views of the volcanoes! :)

(no idea why most of the photos are sideways... every other program that opens them shows them oriented correctly - shoot!)
Attachments
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0093.jpg

MtTaborTrailRunner

Re: Observation Peak Trail report - from Observation Peak TH

Post by MtTaborTrailRunner » October 30th, 2017, 10:20 pm

For some reason if you click on the pictures they straighten out..

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 31st, 2017, 11:07 am

MtTaborTrailRunner wrote:For some reason if you click on the pictures they straighten out..
Worth it, too! Stunning photos. Meant to get back there before winter returns; hope I haven't missed that window yet. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

drm

Post by drm » November 1st, 2017, 3:03 pm

Yeah, that pipe outlet 100 yards down the Big Hollow trail is the only water around there, and lucky we are for it too. It never dries up.

In years past I used to spend a night on the Observation Peak summit every year late in the season, but sadly I have gotten out of the habit. I did get up there a couple of times this year though.

Karl - that altitude is pretty marginal for snow for this storm. It should get some, but not a dumping, so it should be possible to get up there still if we get some good weather afterwards. Some kind of traction would probably be called for.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 1st, 2017, 3:12 pm

drm wrote:Karl - that altitude is pretty marginal for snow for this storm. It should get some, but not a dumping, so it should be possible to get up there still if we get some good weather afterwards. Some kind of traction would probably be called for.
Thinking the same, yep! It could be a really nice mid-elevation getaway if this storm system doesn't get out of hand. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...