Tumala Mountain and Plaza Lake - 9/23/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Tumala Mountain and Plaza Lake - 9/23/17

Post by justpeachy » September 30th, 2017, 5:52 am

Greg and I wanted to do Tumala Mountain and Plaza Lake in the same day. So that's what we did last Saturday.

We could have parked at the Old Baldy Trailhead on Road 4610, but that would have required driving 10 miles of rough road. So we parked on Road 4614 where the Old Baldy Trail and Eagle Creek Cutoff Trail intersect. (By the way, 4614 is paved and passable in any vehicle, but is getting quite overgrown. It's like a tunnel in some spots.) Mattisnotfrench joined us. We donned our packs and set off on the Old Baldy Trail towards Tumala Mountain. We passed a wilderness sign right away (the trail serves as the wilderness boundary), but there was no wilderness permit box (indeed, we did not see a permit box at any of the three trailheads we visited today). The clouds had not burned off yet and the forest was a bit foggy:

I remember coming across this last time I hiked here, and I still don't know what kind of structure this once was:

We passed the junction with the spur trail to Tumala Mountain (formerly known as Squaw Mountain), but it was still cloudy so we decided to visit the summit on our way back. We continued on the Old Baldy Trail, now losing elevation as we descended to 4610.

We crossed a scree slope with a view to the south where we could see Tumala Meadows below. That looks like a cool spot to explore.

Looking back at Tumala Mountain from the scree slope:

The trail was in pretty decent shape except that it's getting a big overgrown:

Matt tackled one small blowdown with his portable saw:

After a little more than three miles of hiking we reached the Old Baldy Trailhead:

Looking down the road in the direction we would have come if we had driven here:

The former entrance to the now-decommissioned Twin Springs Campground:

Road hiking:

Saw this along the road near the Plaza Lake Trailhead. Something logging-related?

It was 0.8 miles from the Old Baldy Trailhead to the Plaza Lake Trailhead:

It's all downhill from here!

There were a few open slopes where the vine maple had started turning:

Still going down. There are some big trees here!

We kept seeing the lake through the trees but the trail is so well-graded that it takes awhile to hike the numerous switchbacks down the hill. Finally we arrived, and we had the place all to ourselves:

The hiking books refer to a campsite at the lake. I think we found the spot, but it's not a campsite anymore. It looked like someone's campfire got loose and started a small brush fire. The ground was all chewed up and a big swath of brush had been cut at ground level. The smell of charred wood was still pretty strong so I think this happened not too long ago. I can't find any "before" photos of this spot online, but here's what it looks like now:

We sat and enjoyed a snack, then explored the brushy trail that followed the shore on the north side:

A really really old trail blaze along the brushy lakeshore path:

The trail abruptly stops at a wall of trees and brush:

A long time ago the trail continued down the hill to the South Fork Salmon River and followed that river all the way over to the Salmon Butte Trail. Incredibly, pablo bushwhacked the route in 2007. The trail shows up on the 1966 Mt. Hood National Forest map (below) and then the USGS 1980 Rhododendron quadrangle, but after that it's gone.

On the hike out we saw a newt!

Road hiking back:

Then we hiked back up the Old Baldy Trail to Tumala Mountain. The view over the meadows was slightly less cloudy and now we could see the mountains in the distance:

On our way back up Tumala, just past the scree slope, we spotted an old trail heading downhill (45.23116, -122.02280). Anyone know where this goes? Down to the meadows perhaps?

We reached the top of Tumala Mountain where the old concrete steps from the fire lookout still stand:

To my great disappointment, Mt. Hood remained stubbornly in the clouds:

Looking east:

Looking southeast:

Looking north with the base of Mt. Adams visible. Also, I believe that is Tanner Butte, left of center, clearly burnt from the Eagle Creek Fire:

It's downtown Portland!

Looking south:

Mt. Jefferson barely visible:

My Gaia app said 10.2 miles and 2300' elevation gain. Matt's GPS said 10.8 miles. Either way, it was quite a workout, but a fun hike! The only other people we saw all day was a couple at the summit of Tumala.

Video:

RobFromRedland

Re: Tumala Mountain and Plaza Lake - 9/23/17

Post by RobFromRedland » September 30th, 2017, 7:20 am

Great trip report! I was down at Plaza Lake a few weeks ago. I was amazed at how well the trail was maintained - at least down to the lake. And some really big trees down there too!

Thank you for the trail maintenance too! Those trails don't see too much traffic and can use all the help they can get.
justpeachy wrote:On our way back up Tumala, just past the scree slope, we spotted an old trail heading downhill (45.23116, -122.02280). Anyone know where this goes? Down to the meadows perhaps?
That is indeed a "trail" down to the meadow. I put it in quotes because it gets VERY faint the closer you get to the meadow. The meadow is really more of a swamp - this time of year probably wouldn't be too bad, but when I went there about 5 years ago, it was tough going down there due to the mud and brush. Interesting, but tough.

I recall that there were strands of water meandering thru the meadow, with the rest of it just pretty mucky. Lots of brush to navigate - the trail goes to the edge of the meadow and you are on your own after that. I remember trying to find an old road shown on the maps and ended up giving up due to the difficulty moving around down there.

A couple of photos from down in the meadow:

From the edge of the meadow:

This one shows how swampy it is down there:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 30th, 2017, 7:33 am

Thanks for those meadow photos! Pretty interesting. I figured it would be wet and swampy down there earlier in the summer.

When you were at Plaza Lake did you see the aftermath of the little brush fire? Or were you there before it happened?

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 30th, 2017, 9:58 am

A delightful trip report - expertly photographed as always.

It reminds me that, while we've all suffered grievous fire-related trail losses this summer, there are still places to hike without wading through charcoal. So, if there's any upside to the fires, it would be to get folks to spread out more, explore trails new to them (and ones you don't usually see on social media), and help keep alive some of the trails that are fading simply from lack of interest (and hence maintenance).

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 30th, 2017, 10:54 am

justpeachy wrote:Thanks for those meadow photos! Pretty interesting. I figured it would be wet and swampy down there earlier in the summer.

When you were at Plaza Lake did you see the aftermath of the little brush fire? Or were you there before it happened?
We must have missed that - Not sure if we didn't see the campsite or if that fire happened later - we went the middle of August - we stopped at a very small clearing but it didn't look like what you showed. I went all around the north end of the lake to where the trail stopped (near the outlet). That part of the trail was pretty rough, unlike the trail all the way down the hill.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Quince

Post by Quince » October 5th, 2017, 6:13 am

We went to hike Plaza Trail and Salmon Mtn on 9/2. As we were descending down to Plaza Lake we saw smoke rising. Went a bit further and we could see flames down at the campsite. Called out and didn't hear any response (we had seen a car leaving the area earlier). The flames had spread to the bushes next to the campsite. It was bigger than anything we could put out at that point and conditions were very, very dry. We were very concerned about the fire just exploding up the hill. We ran back up and headed down the road until we found cell service. Called fire officials. They came and put it out. A very careless camper almost cost us a hiking area.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 5th, 2017, 6:16 am

wow, good you were able to call authorities, thanks, maybe people will read this

PEOPLE, PUT OUT YOUR CAMPFIRES!!!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 5th, 2017, 7:42 am

Quince wrote:The flames had spread to the bushes next to the campsite. It was bigger than anything we could put out at that point and conditions were very, very dry.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Considering how dry it was in early September it's amazingly lucky that the fire didn't spread quickly. The whole Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness could have gone up in flames.

lbennis

Post by lbennis » October 5th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Jean and I hiked this Sept 2nd, saw the fire and called the ranger.

Jean stated at the Plaza Lake TH, "It is a tinderbox out here."

As we were heading down to the lake, we smelled smoke. We thought it was coming down the canyon, maybe from the Eagle Creek fire. As we made our way down a couple more switchbacks, we could see the smoke coming up from the campsite near the lake. One more switchback and it was clear the fire had jumped the campfire pit and was climbing up the bushes. We stood for a couple moments weighing going down and trying to put it out or heading back up and calling for help. We high tailed it up back up.

Fortunately, we got cell service within a couple miles of leaving the TH. I called the ZigZag forest Ranger the next day to get an update. The ranger stated she had heard chatter on the radio about the Plaza Lake fire and that a truck was sent and used water from the lake to get it out.

Thanks for the pics so we could see some of the damage.
Attachments
20170902_101131.jpg
Here is a picture of the fire near Plaza Lake on Sept 2, 2017

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 5th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about what happened with that fire. It's SO LUCKY that you were in the right place at the right time and that you were able to get a signal to call it in. If you had arrived even one hour later it probably would have been too late, considering how dry it was.

If only they had caught the culprit. Unfortunately I have a feeling that most people whose campfires aren't put out properly don't ever get caught.