Saddle Mountain Hike 9-22-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jim57

Saddle Mountain Hike 9-22-17

Post by Jim57 » September 23rd, 2017, 2:24 pm

I've started hiking/backpacking 5 1/2 years ago. The Gorge has been the 'go to place' for me and my bro in law Petr. I am sad at what we have lost. Missing where I can't go. Wondering how all those places are looking now. Wakeena Spring, Christmas mile, the buick, ROA arch, Ruckle Ridge, Franklin, Nestika, Elevator shaft, Benson Plateau, Multnomah basin, Defiance, etc. etc. Excited looking forward to when we can hike it again.

Now I'm have to take a step back. Look at more maps, drive farther, maybe do more overnighters to satisfy the hiking bug.

Soooo. . . Friday drove the 75 miles from east Portland to Saddle Mountain my first time. (about 10 miles east of seaside). Met my bro in law Petr. Hiked 5.7 miles to the top (includes the side trail to the Humbug Mountain viewpoint). It was a nice day. Great views . . . Astoria, Seaside, Humbug Mountain. No Mount Hood view today. Perfect weather, nice drive, great hike, and a stop at dairy queen.

On the way down we passed at least 50 people on their way up. Quite popular for a Friday hike. The parking lot was full.
Attachments
1.0.JPG
1.3.JPG
6.JPG
8.JPG
The old stairs next to the newer route. I've never encountered a trail with this type of wiring before.
10.JPG
11.JPG
Humbug Mountain
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
Saddle Mountain

bobcat

Re: Saddle Mountain Hike 9-22-17

Post by bobcat » September 27th, 2017, 7:15 am

Yes, I suppose this is one of the places that's taking up the slack from the Gorge. Thanks for the report!