Island Lakes/Black Meadows (Waldo Lake Wilderness) 09-13-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Island Lakes/Black Meadows (Waldo Lake Wilderness) 09-13-17

Post by bobcat » September 21st, 2017, 7:09 pm

Third day hike on my central Oregon trip. I began at Shadow Bay on Waldo Lake, Oregon’s second largest natural lake and billed as one of the purest lakes in the world because only a couple of little streams bring in organic matter, so there isn't much aquatic plant life or sediment to muddy the waters, so to speak. I headed along the south shore to the South Waldo Shelter, and then hiked up into the Waldo Lake Wilderness (The wilderness doesn’t actually touch the lake to allow mountain bikes to use the Waldo Lake Loop Trail).
Island, south shore, Waldo Lake.jpg
Mountain ash berries, Waldo Lake.jpg
South Waldo Shelter, Waldo Lake Trail, Waldo Lake.jpg
Wilderness sign, South Waldo Trail.jpg
Hemlocks on South Waldo Trail.jpg
Huckleberries were prime and bountiful as on other sections of this hike, and they slowed me down considerably. I dropped out of the wilderness to the junction of the South Waldo and Mt. Ray Trails, both well-used by bikers outside the wilderness boundary. I followed a well-used trail, and about a mile later, realized I had gone wrong and so consulted maps. Well, I was a good part of the way to the Island Lakes, so I continued on my 3 ½ mile distraction. The Upper and Lower Island Lakes, both a little way off the trail, each have (surprise) a little forested island. The lower lake, to which I slithered down a steep slope is the more picturesque of the two.
V. membranaceum (left) and V. ovalifolium (right), South Waldo Trail.jpg
Bolete, South Waldo Trail.jpg
View to Mount Ray from the South Waldo Trail.jpg
The island, Upper Island Lake, South Waldo Trail.jpg
Lower Island Lake, South Waldo Trail.jpg
Back at the junction of the Mt. Ray and South Waldo Trails, I realized a fairly obscure little scratch, the Mt. Ray Trail heading north, was the path I would need to reenter the wilderness. Huckleberries overhung the trail, and there were numerous downed trees, none difficult to negotiate. Soon, I arrived at Black Meadows, a lush expanse below the dark bastion of Fuji Mountain. I followed a vague path along the east bank of Black Creek (Maps show the trail crossing to the west bank), and passed an old sign for the High Divide Trail. I could not see where that trail came in from the west, but headed northeast in the direction of Waldo Lake.
On the trail, Mt. Ray Trail.jpg
Pond and Fuji Mt., Black Meadows, Mt. Ray Trail.jpg
Black Creek near junction with High Divide, Mt. Ray Trail.jpg
Old sign for High Divide Trail, Mt. Ray Trail.jpg
The High Divide Trail, too, is unmaintained, and passes through a couple of meadows where the tread gets lost. At one of the meadows, I spent about half an hour trying to locate where the trail resumed and only found it after entering the woods and circling the meadow. To compensate, vast amounts of delicious juicy huckleberries presented themselves to me as I passed through a couple of old burns.

Presently, my ears picked up a lot of huffing and puffing, as well as a loud grunt or two. Then a conversation:

“Ooomph! That was too hard!”
“Sorry, I’ll be gentler next time.”
“O.K. Ooofff! Man, this is fun!”

It was two well-fed bears, both upright and grinning from ear to shaggy ear, having a ball of a time sumo wrestling in the middle of a small meadow. I watched them for quite a while and only took out my camera when they stopped for a rest. After a couple of clicks, they sort of sensed my presence but couldn’t tell where I was, so went back to their bout. However, I decided to move on through, so made a polite, but loud, request for safe passage.
Bear wrestle, High Divide Trail.jpg
Happy bears (fuzzy closeup), High Divide Trail.jpg
Heads swiveled in unison: “Wha . . . ? You talkin’ to me?!” Then reality set in, and they hurtled off in opposite directions.

I gathered more berries near Bingo Lake (companion lake to Bongo Lake, which I didn’t have time to visit), and hit the shores of Waldo Lake for a pleasant traipse back to my vehicle.
Old burn above Bingo Lake, High Divide Trail.jpg
Bingo Lake, High Divide Trail.jpg
Island on south shore of the lake, Waldo Lake Trail.jpg

Charley

Re: Island Lakes/Black Meadows (Waldo Lake Wilderness) 09-13

Post by Charley » September 21st, 2017, 7:42 pm

That must have been something unique, to see a bear fight!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2017, 8:43 pm

bear fighting, cool :)

kelkev

Post by kelkev » September 22nd, 2017, 4:17 am

Great trip report. How cool to see the bears! I was hiking the area on Thursday the 14th, my first exploration of the south end of Waldo.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir