Eagle Creek Fire Damage Photos (9/20/2017)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Re: Eagle Creek Fire Damage Photos (9/20/2017)

Post by Eric Peterson » September 23rd, 2017, 8:01 am

KGW has some aerial footage
Benson Plateau looks unscathed at least.

Hope that newer bridge above Triple Falls survived and gets through the slides.

So much to hope for...

Guy

Post by Guy » September 23rd, 2017, 8:28 am

Eric Peterson wrote: Hope that newer bridge above Triple Falls survived and gets through the slides.

So much to hope for...
Yeah, where to start! the already battered bridge above Multmomah and Eagle Creek's High Bridge have been on my mind. They will be serious and long lasting impediments to passage if gone.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » September 23rd, 2017, 8:51 am

The new 'plastic' Tish Creek bridge probably melted? Not sure what it was made of but thought I heard something like that synthetic decking stuff?

Guy

Post by Guy » September 23rd, 2017, 8:56 am

Eric Peterson wrote:The new 'plastic' Tish Creek bridge probably melted? Not sure what it was made of but thought I heard something like that synthetic decking stuff?
Yep, I'd bet that's a big molten blob right now :(
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » September 23rd, 2017, 9:01 am

justpeachy wrote:KGW has some aerial footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxGBWm75Zg

There's a shot of Triple Falls and man, that whole area around the waterfall is totally scorched. :(
That trail around triple falls was already so slide prone. I don't see how that trail's going to survive.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 23rd, 2017, 5:02 pm

justpeachy wrote:KGW has some aerial footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxGBWm75Zg

There's a shot of Triple Falls and man, that whole area around the waterfall is totally scorched. :(
Yeah. I don't normally hike the gorge, but I did hike Oneonta gorge and the Oneonta trail to triple falls with some boy scouts about 10 days before the fire. I'm kind of glad I did now. Triple falls was pretty cool, with some beautiful timber, and now it looks pretty much crispy in those photos. :(
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

JT1

Post by JT1 » September 23rd, 2017, 8:02 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post these pictures. I'm heartsick, distraught and a complete basket case over this. This is my playground/backyard/sanctuary. I do all my spring training hikes out here. I have already hiked Mt. Defiance twice this year and was really counting on a 3rd run at it. I have hike in burned out forests that burned over 20 years ago. There is no greenery or grown in those areas at all (towards Sisters). The gorge will never be restored in my lifetime. I still can't grasp this travesty.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » September 24th, 2017, 8:17 am

Mrs. P and I took a flight through the Colombia Gorge on Saturday. I hope to clean up other pictures and put together a trip report when I have time but I wanted to make sure I posted this one.

This is a heavily "monkeyed with" photo of Multnomah Basin. Notice Multnomah Falls in the lower right.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » September 24th, 2017, 8:50 am

Nice shot P, what's the ridge furthest to the left?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 24th, 2017, 8:52 am

Here's a screen capture of Triple Falls from the video Sheryl posted (thanks justpeachy!).

I found another Sky8 video while looking around and here is the bridge above Oneonta Falls - Downstream to the north is to the left:

Here is a close-up of the bridge. This gives me hope that other bridges survived the fire. Note that the wooden bridge deck has survived!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller