Eagle Creek Fire Damage Photos (9/20/2017)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Eagle Creek Fire Damage Photos (9/20/2017)

Post by retired jerry » October 4th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Thanks

Eagle Creek, Herman Creek, Nick Eaton, Gorton Creek - all not too bad

Tanner Butte, Tanner Creek heavily burned

It'll be interesting to get up there and see in person

drm

Post by drm » October 5th, 2017, 6:45 am

With the low intensity of the burn on Herman Creek and parts further east (Nick Eaton, Gorton, Wyeth), I would hope that it gets reopened before Spring. Low intensity burns should not be too at risk for slides and erosion. But we have to remember that these intensity maps are not necessarily 100% correct.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 5th, 2017, 7:32 am

yeah, Herman Creek area is good for a winter backpack

the "gubmint" is a bit inflexible though

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » October 5th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Makes me really glad I got in as many hikes in the gorge as I did before it all went up in smoke. I hadn't done Tanner Butte in a few years but made it up there about a week before the Indian Creek fire closed everything down. Good to see that the Bell Creek area just got touched. I do Franklin Ridge a lot and it looks like it got toasted. Amazing that so much of Benson Plateau got spared with the way so many small trees are packed in together up there. Wonder how many times in the last 20 years the camp smokey area has burned. This must be at least the third time.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » October 11th, 2017, 4:12 pm

Trails Club of Oregon posted the first pictures of Nesika Lodge.

https://nesikalodge.com/
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 11th, 2017, 4:17 pm

I wonder if there were firefighters that helped save it, that is what survived

Guy

Post by Guy » October 11th, 2017, 4:31 pm

retired jerry wrote:I wonder if there were firefighters that helped save it, that is what survived
No it's my understanding (not first hand info) is that there were no firefighters or water drops at Nesika when the fire went through. A couple of days after the fire they did do water drops on some nearby hot spots. The first news that Nesika had survived didn't come from the Forest Service but from the Channel 8 news helicopter, a trails club member gave them the coordinates and asked if they would fly over the site and check.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 11th, 2017, 5:26 pm

I have heard from some trails club members that the lodge has some broken windows from the heat of the fire and that the roof will need some repairs - though that is not evident from the photos. Amazing, given the destruction so near the lodge. I continue to have hopes for the many bridge along the gorge trails.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Guy

Post by Guy » October 12th, 2017, 4:51 am

Don Nelsen wrote:I have heard from some trails club members that the lodge has some broken windows from the heat of the fire and that the roof will need some repairs - though that is not evident from the photos. Amazing, given the destruction so near the lodge. I continue to have hopes for the many bridge along the gorge trails.ヘアrd亜tてぇ目

dn
Don what I heard at the meeting was that a couple of the windows cracked but only the outer panes (double glazed). The roof actually looks OK but it's possible it may have been heat damaged. I guess if shingles get to hot they can loose their water shedding abilities. There is no evidence of this it just has to be evaluated by a roofer.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Abroad2c

Post by Abroad2c » December 4th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Has anyone heard an update on Wahclella Falls? I was planning a wedding there in 2019 and was told it may not even be open by then.. :o :cry: