OR Horseshoe Ridge Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sugar Pine

OR Horseshoe Ridge Hike

Post by Sugar Pine » September 17th, 2017, 7:09 am

Hiked Horseshoe Ridge - the one off Lolo Pass Road in OR. The trail was in great shape and easy to follow. The route is a typical NW forest hike with great views at the top, although not so much yesterday due to the smoke. Though, the smoke seemed much worse in Portland. My gps always seems to show more mileage and elevation than posted, this time at 11.5 miles and ~3100 ft gain.

We only saw 3 other hikers/runners(?) the entire day. The drive was easy. Not sure why it is not more popular or why I haven't hiked it before. It does start at Riley Horse Camp (now closed for the season) and the first 3/4 of a mile the trail is dusty, but hikers can avoid the horse trail and hike on a path next to the creek. There is also a creek ford due to a washed out bridge, but we were able to keep dry crossing on logs/boards.

This site's description is great. Lorain's Afoot and Afield includes this hike, but it is now longer due to a road closure.
Attachments
deer3.jpg
Found along Horseshoe Ridge trail

justpeachy

Re: OR Horseshoe Ridge Hike

Post by justpeachy » September 17th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Sugar Pine wrote:Not sure why it is not more popular
I haven't done this one, but I hear it's pretty buggy in the summer, so that may explain it. Also some people find that having to road hike at the beginning and end of a hike is a drag, and in this particular case I think it's something like four extra miles total and some extra elevation gain too, compared to before the road washed out.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 19th, 2017, 6:59 am

I don't see how the road closure would affect anything.

You used to be able to drive up that road, but there was a small washout a few years ago that stopped cars, and they decommissioned it a couple years ago so now you can't even walk it. When it was open you could drive up the road and catch a higher up trailhead for Horseshoe Ridge trail, save a mile or so.

But that trail isn't that long so an extra mile isn't too bad.

I usually do that in the off season when there's snow further up. No bugs then :)

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » September 23rd, 2017, 3:07 pm

I think Retired Jerry it talking about the trail from Riley Horse Camp. It doesn't appear to be new, as it is on my Garmin. We thought about returning on the road just to check it out, but it wasn't just closed. It appeared all churned up and replanted. I do dislike road walking, but it is not necessary. I think it is a nice fall option with the gorge trails closed.
Attachments
Horseshoe Ridge OR.PNG
NF-382 is now closed. But, there is a trail which leaves from Riley Horse Camp.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 23rd, 2017, 3:47 pm

Yeah, they rechurned that road. And wherever there was a stream with culvert they took it out so you'd have to walk down to the stream and back up. That road is pretty much impassable.

But the Horseshoe Ridge Trail, and the Casey Creek Trail are both good.

X-ZZ4

Post by X-ZZ4 » September 28th, 2017, 9:51 am

Thanks for this report.....I'm planning on heading up to that area this weekend and was wondering about the conditions.....looks great for a slightly rainy little hike Sunday morning!