GoalTechHikes Cathedral Trail in Astoria by Column

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

GoalTechHikes Cathedral Trail in Astoria by Column

Post by mjirving » September 10th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Hike 19 - Cathedral Tree Trail - Astoria
“I shoulda gone up too” 

7/7/17

Miles: 0.9
Time: 0 hrs, 25 min
Avg MPH: 2.2
Elev Min: 300’
Elev Max: 600’
Total Ascent: 40’
Total Descent: 250’
Elev Change: -300’
Temp Low: 70
Temp High: 70
Other hikers: ~10
Wildlife: Birds

* Astoria Column * Cathedral Tree * Irving Avenue *

Opening Shot: The Astoria Column

I was on a family mini-road trip up through the Washington coastline and then over to Seattle and back down. We stopped in Astoria as we’ve never really been here before to my knowledge which is kind of funny as it’s only a couple hours away. We of course went to the famous Astoria Column to see it.  I was impressed as its somewhat recent refurbishment made it look brand new with very crisp and beautiful lettering and drawings on its side. I was impressed too that I could see over to Saddle Mountain which I hiked to the top of last year. We could of course see the town of Astoria and the well-known Astoria-Megler bridge which is the longest truss bridge in North America at 4.1 miles long.

As I was roaming around I saw a trailhead. I investigated and discovered that it was a short trail that went down to the road below…appropriately called “Irving Avenue” which is my last name. I quickly determined that I must hike this little trail and arranged with my family to meet me at the bottom.

This red berry (which I don’t know its name) was the only plant/flower of interest I saw on the short hike down.

It was very green and lush. The trail was in excellent shape as you might imagine in this very popular location. I was glad as I was ill-prepared for a hike in my Birkenstocks.

There were some cool wood bridges through parts that made me feel like I was on Endor in Star Wars.

The Cathedral Tree is off a short spur trail to the right on the way down. It was magnificent when it came into view.

It was a giant up close,

with its little “room inside” at its base.

After enjoying its stature, I headed back and went along another bridge,

and saw one of my favorite flowers, the Foxglove.

I made it to Irving Avenue easily and really enjoyed this little hike that packed a punch in its shortness. What would make this even more perfect would be to hike both ways and save the entry fee for the parking area at the Column.

Favorite experience of the day:
Discovering this surprise of a trail.

Least favorite experience of the day:
Wishing I had hiked up it too.

Today's route (left-to-right):

Today's elevation (right-to-left):
-GoalTech
www.GoalTechHikes.com
@goaltechhikes (Instagram)

bobcat

Re: GoalTechHikes Cathedral Trail in Astoria by Column

Post by bobcat » September 18th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Nice to see a report from Astoria. The trail has been in the Field Guide for a couple of years: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Hill_Hike

mjirving

Re: GoalTechHikes Cathedral Trail in Astoria by Column

Post by mjirving » September 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Yeah I was surprised to find it was on the list of trails to select from.

Mike