Goat Rocks PCT Aug 14-16 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jime

Goat Rocks PCT Aug 14-16 2017

Post by jime » August 19th, 2017, 10:37 am

This backpacking trip to the Goat Rocks was a three day out-and-back on the PCT. The weather was great and the Goat Rocks were fantastic!

My general plan was to head north from the Potato Hill PCT trailhead on Road 5603 just north of Mt Adams, then return. The drive to the TH from Portland took just about 3 hours.

The scene at the TH looked remote and lonely with only one other car parked when I arrived and none when I returned. The next road crossing the PCT is White Pass Hwy 12 some 45 trail miles north. However, along the PCT I met many thru & section hikers, either looking forward to the Goat Rocks or having just been wowed by them depending on their direction of travel.

Potato Hill PCT trailhead

Along the way there are a number of small meadows, ponds, & lakes.

First view of the Goat Rocks. Nannie Peak is in the foreground with Walupt Lake down below.

Found on the trail - antique saddle. There’s got to be a story behind this relic. What happened to the horse?

Looking south at Mt Adams.

Campsite at Walupt Creek.

Good Morning Mr. Adams!

View up towards Cispus Pass.

Looking back at the trail after reaching Cispus Pass.

First views of Cispus Basin just after the Pass.

View back from below as I’m leaving Cispus Basin.

Trail engineering.

The climb up towards Old Snowy.

Adams from higher up.

Goat Lake (still not melted out) and Mt. Rainier.

A look up towards Old Snowy. I didn’t have the energy for that climb today.

A look at the PCT “knife edge” from my turn around point.

Heading back through Cispus Basin.

And back to Cispus Pass and a view east of the Klickitat River headwaters.

An evening with Mt. Adams.

Sheep Lake.

A look west towards Walupt Lake.

One of a number of large Alaska Yellow Cedars.

Farewell view of the Goat Rocks and Rainier.

Almost back to my car. Seen on the trail – a reminder of those making longer journeys!

olderthanIusedtobe

Re: Goat Rocks PCT Aug 14-16 2017

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » August 19th, 2017, 10:59 am

Looks like a great trip!

The climb to the top of Old Snowy is totally worth it. Fantastic close up view of the Goat Rocks crest from up there. Continuing on along the Knife Edge is really cool too.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm

I was just there, too, on Aug. 15-17 with my wife. We took the easy way in on Snowgrass Flats trail, though. She's not up to accomplishing a more difficult backpack than what that trail offers. She was extremely happy to see Goat Rocks for her first time ever, as you may imagine. It's a superb area.

I am very curious about your approach to the TH on Road 5603. Did you take Road 2329 from the south? The last I saw that road, in 2014, it was badly washed out and impassable just north of Killen Creek Campground. If you drove in that way, how was the repair? Could a passenger car make it by, or is high clearance a necessity?

Thanks for the great trip report. The photos are fabulous. And (I hope) for the road condition report, too.

jime

Post by jime » August 19th, 2017, 3:55 pm

I drove from Trout Lake on Road 23 to 2329 to 5603. Road 2329 from the south to Road 5603 is fine now. The washout has been fixed. I'd say a high clearance vehicle is not needed. There are some pot holes and washboard, but not really that bad.
I had never been up there, but the FS website said the road was now open. (Note - Road 23 is still not open all the way to Randle. Those washouts have not been repaired.)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 19th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Thanks. I called the Trout Lake ranger station on August 11th and inquired about 2329 and repairs to the washout north of Killen Creek and the person who answered said the washout wasn't repaired and that work on it was scheduled for next month. Apparently, I was misinformed by that person, an all too common event when making inquiries of ranger stations these days. :(

xrp

Post by xrp » August 21st, 2017, 7:06 pm

Great pictures and trip report.

How were the mosquitoes and other bugs?

jime

Post by jime » August 22nd, 2017, 5:53 am

"How were the mosquitoes and other bugs?"

Mosquitoes & flies were not a problem for me, even without deet. It was fairly cold overnight - I think that helped.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 22nd, 2017, 7:05 am

My wife and I encountered some bothersome biting black flies on the lower 2/3 of the Snowgrass Flats trail, but as we got up near timberline the bug situation was no problem at all.

romann

Post by romann » August 22nd, 2017, 9:08 pm

Great report and pictures! I was there a couple days after you. Flowers 90% gone but some late meadows and stream gullies still had great color. Flies were present in the forest but none above timberline; almost no mosquitoes; huckleberries are ripe and plentiful. Oh and Goat Lake was looking really cool with the icebergs!