Elk Cove - 8-15-2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Elk Cove - 8-15-2017

Post by dmthomas49 » August 18th, 2017, 5:46 am

Picked a great day weather-wise and air quality-wise to do Elk Cove. Temperature was in the 60s to start and the air quality was really good.
Elk Cove.jpg
We started up the road and on to the single track trail. The area with the burn from the Dollar Fire is pretty widespread and goes well into the hike.
Forest Burn.jpg
Odd Shapes.jpg
With the forest opened from the fire, a lot more flowers are established and blooming. The fireweed was very extensive especially closer to the top of the trail. The climb was not very steep.
Fireweed.jpg
We reached the Coe Overlook and the view was pretty amazing. We continued up through the saddle and the rest of the climb. We found that huckleberries started to appear at about 4,700 ft. They are ripe and so delicious!
Mt Hood from Coe Overlook.jpg
Huckleberries.jpg
The asters were also blooming and after I looked at this picture on my computer, I discovered a pair of glasses hidden among them. Anyone lost sun glasses?
Asters - hidden glasses.jpg
Cove Creek was very pretty with the flowers blooming at the edge of the water. It was an easy crossing with some logs available to assist.
Cove Creek Crossing.jpg
Just before the Timberline Trail intersection, there are a few camp areas. One was occupied.
If you make a left on the Timberline Trail and then a quick right this leads to an open area with an amazing view of the Coe Glacier, Barrett Spur and the rest of the mountain looms!
Mt Hood.jpg
Coe Glacier.jpg
More flowers closer to the mountain.
Western Pasque Flower.jpg
We saw some hikers up on Barret Spur through my camera zoom.
Hikers on Barrett Spur.jpg
We took a snack break and headed back down. We only saw 3 other people and one, English Bulldog that was an excellent hiker!

Overall it took us about 4 hours to finish.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir