Bull of the Woods 7/29-7/30

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Smith

Bull of the Woods 7/29-7/30

Post by Smith » August 15th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Got out backpacking to Bull of the Woods before everything got really smokey. Started at Pansy Lake Trailhead and headed out to Big Slide Lake via the Mother Lode Trail. We camped at the Lake witch was excellent. A few other people were at the lake, but not too many. We had a nice swim in the lake it was great!

The next day I made some pancakes on a pocket rocket, quite the experience, but I made it work! The first mile out of big slide lake is pretty steep, probably my least favorite part of the trip. From the junction up to the Lookout is not too steep and has some great views. From the look out we could see from Rainer to Three Sisters it was awesome!

The 549 trail had a lot of downed trees, which made for some slow going, but nothing that was too hard to get around. All in all it was a great trip! Definitely one of my favorite trips I've been on in a while.

More Pics Here: https://boredomtheadventure.wordpress.com/

Been wanting to try something new with the videos, so they are a little different. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/AvVzjyto-oE

https://youtu.be/cjX92A4rE0M

justpeachy

Re: Bull of the Woods 7/29-7/30

Post by justpeachy » August 15th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Bull of the Woods Lookout has great views. Beautiful up there!

I truly admire people who are willing to cook in the backcountry. More power to you! :D I just don't have the patience, and I rely on Mary Jane meals for breakfast and dinner.

Smith

Post by Smith » August 15th, 2017, 8:35 pm

justpeachy wrote:Bull of the Woods Lookout has great views. Beautiful up there!

I truly admire people who are willing to cook in the backcountry. More power to you! :D I just don't have the patience, and I rely on Mary Jane meals for breakfast and dinner.
I love cooking! But it's not always possible on the trail. I've heard good things about Mary Jane meals. Do you have any that you would recommend? One can only eat so many mountain house meals! Haha!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 16th, 2017, 6:04 am

Smith wrote:I've heard good things about Mary Jane meals. Do you have any that you would recommend?
I've never had a MJ meal that I didn't like, but my favorites are cheddar herb pasta, curry in a hurry, and jambalaya. Yum!

Smith

Post by Smith » August 16th, 2017, 6:12 am

justpeachy wrote:
Smith wrote:I've heard good things about Mary Jane meals. Do you have any that you would recommend?
I've never had a MJ meal that I didn't like, but my favorites are cheddar herb pasta, curry in a hurry, and jambalaya. Yum!
Thanks! Good to know!

Limey

Post by Limey » August 17th, 2017, 9:25 am

Great TR as usual. Since no-one else has mentioned anything about your new video style I thought I would give you my opinion. I like both styles, old style shows a lot more of the terrain traveled which I really like. New style with the narrative adds a lot more interest. Perhaps a combination of the two would really kick a$$. Just my opinion but I thought you might like some feedback.

Smith

Post by Smith » August 17th, 2017, 10:16 am

Limey wrote:Great TR as usual. Since no-one else has mentioned anything about your new video style I thought I would give you my opinion. I like both styles, old style shows a lot more of the terrain traveled which I really like. New style with the narrative adds a lot more interest. Perhaps a combination of the two would really kick a$$. Just my opinion but I thought you might like some feedback.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep this in mind when making my next video. Professional I'm a designer so critique is in my wheelhouse. I've made 50+ of the old style of video, so over time I got a lot better at editing. Editing can take a long time and is a little boring, so trying something new gets me excited about making more videos. I definitely have a lot to learn with this new style. Also, I got a new camera that I'm still figuring out. I've learned that my old camera is better at taking big wide shots of the landscape & terrain, so I plan to use both cameras next time. I could go on forever about editing & cameras, but I digress.

With my old videos my goal was to show the pure joy of being outside. What I want to do with future videos is tell the story behind that excitement. Also, I have thing to say about the trail or a trip that can't just show in the video. I've tried writing about these thing, but I'm not great at writing. Haha!