Trinity Alps, Smith Lake, 8/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cunningkeith

Trinity Alps, Smith Lake, 8/17

Post by cunningkeith » August 14th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Some friends and I hit the Trinity Alps last week. We were planning to go to the Wallowas, but smoke (and bugs) led us to the Golden State instead. Conditions were superb and the granite was stunning.

I've done several trips to this area, but I've never hiked out of the most popular TH, Canyon Creek. This area is a bit more of a drive from Portland, but we went here because it had great off-trail options.

The first several miles hike up the Canyon Creek drainage, which is dominated by a beautiful river that carves through granite.

Our main goals were Smith and Morris Lakes. According to Lewon, these off-trial lakes are typically approached from the east on a brushy trail and off-trail route through Alpine Lake. We decided to approach from the west, which has two ways (both very tough) up to this basin.

We ascended through Stonehouse Gulch, which has more elevation but less brush.

Unfortunately, T-storms were a constant problem on each day of the trip and we had to hide under a snow bridge during our ascent (I'm still not sure if this was the best place to hide, but there wasn't much cover).

The T-storms lasted so long that we had to retreat back down to Canyon Creek without reaching Smith Lake.

The next day, we headed back up the gulch and discovered that our snow bridge was no longer a bridge. What a difference a day makes!

Eventually we made it up to Smith and Morris Lake. We camped at the upper lake and didn't see a soul.

The sunset and stars were amazing.

Details: Smoke was a non-issue half the trip and somewhat moderate on the other half of the trip. Bugs were not a problem. We descended to Canyon Creek on the other route described (vaguely) by Lewon that leaves Smith Lake to the SW. Even though this trip does not involve a ton of miles, it is very challenging, with a lot of granite, navigation, brush, and loose rock.

Bosterson

Re: Trinity Alps, Smith Lake, 8/17

Post by Bosterson » August 14th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Cool! Those snow bridge/ice formations are wild, like what you see sticking straight up out of the soil at Everest Base Camp or something. So did you go east OT up the drainage to the lakes that's just before the Boulder Creek Lakes junction? Is that last pic showing Sawtooth Mountain?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » August 15th, 2017, 10:13 am

That shot is not of Sawtooth, but here is one looking NW that has the peak toward the right of the picture. Morris Lake is in the middle.

This map shows the route we took down from Smith to Canyon Creek. It is part of the "High Route," which looks pretty awesome/sketchy.

http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/55625310

I haven't been able to find any beta on the route up through Stonehouse Gulch other than Lewon who devotes two sentences to the route. We hiked on trail up to within 1/3 a mile of lower Canyon Creek Lake. Looking east (right) you'll see Stonehouse Gulch very prominently. Hike E/NE off trail, gaining 2500 feet in about a mile to the ridge that is above Morris Lake and is south of Sawtooth Mountain. Before reaching the ridge, we changed direction and hiked SE to the ridge. Looking up, it appeared almost impossible to get over the ridge, but we were able to find a spot. Once over the ridge and dropping to Morris Lake, looking back from where we came, it looked much easier. It's funny how one side of a ridge can be so foreboding and the other relatively mellow.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » August 16th, 2017, 11:05 am

Beautiful pictures and excellent report, thanks so much! There's so much down there to explore. Too bad it's so far away...

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » August 17th, 2017, 11:46 am

wow! I've been eyeball the Trinity Alps for a couple of years now. Am convinced now that I've gotta get out of SW Washington & head south for sure!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"