Elk Cove and Barrett Spur

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Elk Cove and Barrett Spur

Post by drm » August 13th, 2017, 7:57 am

I headed up onto Mt Hood for a night at Elk Cove and a hike up Barrett Sput. Last time I went up Barrett Spur, we stopped at the notch at 7200 feet, so I wanted to continue on. This time I went to the lower summit at 7700 feet. The small steeper section to the upper summit didn't look too hard, but it also looked like a slip could result in a bad fall. But I admit it looked harder when in front of me than it does in the photo here.

Heat and smoke from regional forest fires were pretty oppressive down low but though conditions were better at the trailhead at Laurance Lake, it was still smoky. It was 90's in Hood River but lower 80s at the trailhead.

Most of the hike up goes through the Dollar Lake Fire burn and there was a feast of fireweed on the way

Talk about feasts, the huckleberries were intense for a while midway up, though none at Elk Cove that I saw

western pasque flower and astor were intense in Elk Cove

Had a bit of rain overnight, so next morning it was a good bit clearer

more astor heading up towards Barrett Spur

more hippie heads (western pasque flower) heading up

500 feet above Elk Cove, Dollar Puddle is starting to get grungy

Looking up along the curving Barrett Spur from near it's start; only the lower summit is visible

At the notch on Barrett Spur at about 7200 feet, looking up at steeper terrain to the lower summit

The view from the lower summit, as far as I went, at about 7700 feet

retired jerry

Re: Elk Cove and Barrett Spur

Post by retired jerry » August 13th, 2017, 8:35 am

Always a nice hike up there, thanks

Dollar Puddle getting grungy - after I saw dog swimming in it I never drink out of it. Get water from Wy'East or continue up trail towards Barret, when you get up to ridge cross over and there's a stream

dibgerge

Post by dibgerge » August 13th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Nice photos! Did you start from Elk Cove trailhead? If so, did you have any troublesome creek crossings? Thanks!

drm

Post by drm » August 13th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Yes, Elk Cove trailhead near Laurance Lake. After crossing Pinnacle creek on a bridge, it just goes up the burned ridge, so no creeks except one tributary to the Coe, which has a decent sized log across and is almost down to rock-hopping depth anyway. The creek in Elk Cove can be crossed on the TT on rocks and sand too.

dibgerge

Post by dibgerge » August 15th, 2017, 4:17 pm

drm wrote:Yes, Elk Cove trailhead near Laurance Lake. After crossing Pinnacle creek on a bridge, it just goes up the burned ridge, so no creeks except one tributary to the Coe, which has a decent sized log across and is almost down to rock-hopping depth anyway. The creek in Elk Cove can be crossed on the TT on rocks and sand too.
Thank you ! I was reading the elk cove trailhead info on this website and it said "Former footbridge over Pinnacle Creek", so i wasn't sure that the bridge was still there :)