Ape Canyon to Windy Pass 8/12/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BeaverDawg

Ape Canyon to Windy Pass 8/12/17

Post by BeaverDawg » August 12th, 2017, 8:05 pm

We hit the trail early this morning (boots hit dirt at 5:50am) to build miles for the WTA Hike-A-Thon. Today was Ape Canyon to Windy Pass via the Plains of Abraham (plus a little wandering on the Loowit). Four + groups were camped near the creek at Pumice Butte to watch the meteor showers which explained the nearly full parking lot. The creek was flowing nicely and made a nice place to have lunch on the return trip. The trail was in excellent shape as is expected due to the heavy but courteous mt. bike traffic. Total miles was 15.75 with 2,100 EG. When we returned the cars were overflowing down the road. We never regret the early start!
a IMG_0708.jpg
Welcoming Committee
b DSCN7409.jpg
Beautiful Morning
c 1 IMG_0689.jpg
View of the Plains from near Windy Pass
d1 DSCN7449.jpg
Across the Plains
e 1 IMG_0699.jpg
View from the creek
f 1 IMG_5260.jpg
Lunch Break
g 1 DSCN7453.jpg
What a great day!

K.Wagner

Re: Ape Canyon to Windy Pass 8/12/17

Post by K.Wagner » August 13th, 2017, 3:02 pm

How was the #216 trail, starting up the slope to Windy Pass? When I was there last year, it was "sketchy" to say the least.

In this picture, I drew in my route. Later, I saw another route to the right (east) that might have been easier, but it looked like it had similar issues.
47-216 Trail-S.jpg
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

BeaverDawg

Re: Ape Canyon to Windy Pass 8/12/17

Post by BeaverDawg » August 14th, 2017, 6:53 am

The short section trail up to Windy Pass from the Plains was pretty sketchy. We took the direct route up and were telling ourselves "This is going to really suck going down!". On the return we noticed the upper switchback (as you show in your pic) which was marked with pink tape and it was MUCH easier. Just take it slow and place your feet carefully.