Santiam Lake via Duffy Lake Trail 7/28/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bmgoff1981

Santiam Lake via Duffy Lake Trail 7/28/17

Post by bmgoff1981 » August 2nd, 2017, 1:13 am

First ever trip report! I've read hundreds though, and gleaned a lot of useful info, thanks everyone!

I decided to scope out the eight lakes basin, with a friend and our pups, for backpacking options the weekend of the eclipse. We headed in from the Duffy Lakes trail head around noon, and unfortunately we were a little too late to beat a pair of Alpaca's, with their owners, onto the trail. Shortly after getting on the trail we crossed into the Mt Jefferson wilderness, luckily this part is far enough away from the wildfire that it's still open. :?
Photo Jul 28, 12 11 57 PM.jpg
Mt Jefferson Wilderness
Shortly after we crossed into the wilderness we caught up to the Alpacas, and they let us pass. My dog really wanted to figure out what these large animals were, but I decided it was probably better to keep moving. :roll:
Photo Jul 28, 1 09 17 PM.jpg
On Trail
After a little over 3 miles we reached Duffy lake and the pups had a swim while we ate some lunch and lounged by the lake, the mosquito's were surprisingly not bad lakeside at Duffy. After this diversion we got back on the trail and continued the remaining mile and a half on to Santiam Lake. The trail to duffy was completely clear of all blow down, and the only thing you had to worry about was avoiding all of the horse crap, but the trail up to Santiam was a little different. It began a steady rise over the last mile and had many trees to climb over, under, or around. I understand a lot of people take the PCT for a mile and then take another trail to Santiam Lake, but I've been to Duffy a few times and wanted to see it again.
Photo Jul 28, 1 59 25 PM.jpg
Duffy Lake w/butte
We set up camp in a great little site on the North side of Santiam Lake, with a little trail down to a nice sandy beach on the lake, it was perfect! We lounged around lakeside taking pictures and in awe of the beauty of everything around us, with Three Fingered Jack just to our East.
Photo Jul 28, 4 29 58 PM.jpg
Dogs with 3FG
We tried fishing that evening with no luck and retired to camp for some trail whiskey and dinner around the campfire. While dining we came across the strangest beetle I've ever seen, it looked like it had Dumbo ears, it was awesome, but seemed hell bent on getting into the fire or getting eaten by one of the dogs, so I had to carry it away from camp.
Strange Beetle.jpg
I woke up just before sunrise to see if I could catch some fish, and sure enough I had 3 by the time my friend had awoken. She was a little upset that she didn't get to catch them, but she was more than happy to clean them up and cook them for breakfast. :D
Photo Jul 29, 7 42 10 AM.jpg
My 3 fish
1 Brook, 1 Brown, and 1 rainbow
Photo Jul 29, 9 15 53 AM.jpg
Cooked
We did some exploring around the other lakes and returned for an afternoon swim and decided to cast our lines out again to see if we could get dinner, and sure enough, by dinner time we had 2 more browns in the pan. Packed out bright and early Sunday for a stop by cedars, in Detroit, on the way home. Had a great trip, but I have a nice sunburn and a lot of mosquito bites to show for it.
"Let not a single day pass without making at least one definite move towards the attainment of your major purpose."
-Napoleon Hill

kelkev

Re: Santiam Lake via Duffy Lake Trail 7/28/17

Post by kelkev » August 2nd, 2017, 5:05 am

Excellent! I've cast many a fishing line in Santiam and Duffy Lakes. And caught a few nice fish....as well as a lot of mosquito bites in July.... :)
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 2nd, 2017, 9:15 am

Nice to get in there before the heat wave and more possible trail closures.

Your beetle is a ten-lined June beetle (Polyphylla decemlineata) - although native considered an agricultural pest. And they are active on warm evenings which explains the attraction to the fire.

bmgoff1981

Post by bmgoff1981 » August 2nd, 2017, 1:27 pm

bobcat wrote: Your beetle is a ten-lined June beetle (Polyphylla decemlineata) - although native considered an agricultural pest. And they are active on warm evenings which explains the attraction to the fire.
Thanks bobcat! That does make sense, as the nights were pretty chilly up there.
"Let not a single day pass without making at least one definite move towards the attainment of your major purpose."
-Napoleon Hill

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 13th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Nice report! That's a great backpacking destination. I that one late last fall and had the worst weather, but enjoyed it anyway.

Good to see that you had success fishing in Santiam Lake. I'd like to give that a try next time I am out there.

Thanks for sharing.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando