upper Munra ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
weezngeezr

upper Munra ridge

Post by weezngeezr » July 31st, 2017, 5:46 pm

I recently pulled off a hike that had piqued my curiosity. I descended the Munra Point ridge from it's highest point near the BPA power corridor to the viewpoint, to I 84. I ascended via the Nesmith Point trail then east on the Moffet creek trail (camped at McCord creek) crossed the BPA corridor, turned left on the access road and then northeast along the corridor. The corridor makes a 45 degree bend. Pick up the ridge just north of the 3rd tower after the bend. No trail here, bushwack north on a slight ascent of a broad ridge for about 1/2 mile, then descend easily north as the ridge sharpens. Then, yikes, a very steep rock prow drop of about 150'. I can't encourage anybody to try this descent. I dropped a bit down the east slope, crossed the face of the prow, down a managable short chute to the west slope, then north to the base of the prow. Too scary to try again. North from here encounters more steep but scramblable downs and trail (where I found a nice smart phone which I've posted on lost and found) to the view point ridge and down trail. My curiosity is now quite satisfied. Happy trails.

Chip Down

Re: upper Munra ridge

Post by Chip Down » July 31st, 2017, 6:27 pm

weezngeezr wrote:Then, yikes, a very steep rock prow drop of about 150'. I can't encourage anybody to try this descent.
As I was reading your report, I was looking forward to your mention of that spot. I gave up there on my ascent, partly because I didn't think there was much of interest above there, so wasn't highly motivated to continue. Would like to take a stab at it, but it's a bit of a hike just to get back there again.

Strange place to find a phone.

Congrats on the cool debut post. Wrong forum, but we'll cut you some slack. :geek:

Guy

Post by Guy » July 31st, 2017, 6:58 pm

Only ever gone up this way but this section can be safely bypassed on the West side of the ridge.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 31st, 2017, 7:07 pm

Guy wrote:Only ever gone up this way but this section can be safely bypassed on the West side of the ridge.
Tried that, but what a tedious traverse, and the ridge just didn't seem all that well-defined anymore. My thinking was that I'd been having fun up to that point, and I didn't want it to turn into a non-fun day (which, now that I think about it, is totally out of character for me :lol: ).

I'm thinking Pablo said to go east, but it probably doesn't matter too much. I'm guessing either way will get you there if you're determined to put up with the bushwhacking. Kind of reminds me of that unclimbable step on Nesmith Ridge where left bypass = right bypass = misery.

Peder

Post by Peder » August 1st, 2017, 8:11 am

weezngeezr wrote:Then, yikes, a very steep rock prow drop of about 150'. I can't encourage anybody to try this descent.
Actually, you can descend straight down, it is easy scrambling. Obviously if you come up over Wauneka Point, you get a great loop and miss the less exciting Nesmith Point trail...

I have also gone around the east side of the prow without any trouble (there is a steep game trail rejoining the ridge) and I have heard of others going around the west side without problems.
Chip Down wrote:I gave up there on my ascent, partly because I didn't think there was much of interest above there, so wasn't highly motivated to continue.
Correct - the fun bit are below the prow, especially the open ridges close to Munra Point.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 1st, 2017, 6:42 pm

I've gone up on both sides of that rock prow and frankly, I think the east side was easier. It is steeper but once the steep part is done with you are on easy terrain. The west side just goes on and on. My 2 cents.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller