Hamilton Mountain (6/10)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
abramj17

Hamilton Mountain (6/10)

Post by abramj17 » July 24th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Hamilton Mountain 6/10

Distance: 7.5mi
Elevation: 2100ft
Link to Hike: OregonHikers.org

Hey Oregon Hikers,

I hiked Hamilton Mountain on June 10th with a group of friends I climb and run with. Hamilton Mountain is on the Washington side of the Columbia and It’s about a 45min drive coming from NW Portland. You’ll have to cross the Bridge of the Gods to get to the trailhead, which is just North of Beacon Rock, so remember to bring change for the toll fee.

To sum up the experience, I was super impressed. Unlike other “go-to trails” I have done in the Gorge area, there are a diverse amount of geographic features like waterfalls, ridges, and false summits that kept the hike interesting. Heading towards the summit I noticed a few steep sections, but for the most part it is a modest gradual incline. For people who hike/run Forest Park in NW Portland or Mt. Tabor on the Eastside, H. Mtn should be a piece of cake. While our group was on the trail there was a 50k going on at the same time, but other than the runners there wasn’t too much traffic. I don’t think this hike is as popular as Angel’s Rest or Dog Mountain judging from the fact that it is longer and further out. I’ll add that the top was a little anticlimactic for me because it was a bit overcast and raining. Nonetheless the trek to the top is 100% worth it for those looking to break a sweat!

Insight regarding choosing Hamilton Mountain:

I chose this hike in place of the Salmon River to Devil’s Peak loop because of the weather. Between 6/10-6/11 the forecast entailed a 100% chance of rain with possible thunder and lightning. Hamilton Mountain was recommended the morning of, and I decided to go with it instead of gambling with the rain. I liked the distance and had never heard of it which is what drew me to it. Almost instantly (like one or two miles in) it became one of the top hikes I would recommend in the Gorge. For people visiting Portland, I default to recommending Eagle Creek because of it’s gradual incline, waterfalls, and scenic photo ops along the trail. In some cases I would opt for H. Mtn in place of EC because it’s more of a challenge and there is fewer people based off of what I experienced there.

Pack: Camelback Cloudwalker
Boots: Sorel
Guidebook: Curious Gorge 3rd Edition

Cheers,

Abe