Overnight Backpack to Goat Creek on Salmon River Trail West

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dgweston

Overnight Backpack to Goat Creek on Salmon River Trail West

Post by dgweston » July 23rd, 2017, 5:55 pm

I hit the trail early-ish (8:00 a.m.), aspiring to make it up to the campsite at about 8.7 mi. Alas, the campsite at Goat Creek at 5.4 mi was too perfect to pass up. Plus there was a good bit of climbing in the previous two miles. The risk was I'd have company, and sure enough, a small group with kids "moved in" next door. I was a little disappointed because I hoped for solitude, but thankfully, they were very respectful. Later, another backpacker took up digs further down the line. Curious to see a bit of what I missed, I set up camp and hiked on a couple of miles. After the first mile, it was back to climbing, but without the beauty. A few spots were also washed out, and I was glad not to have a full pack.

I recommend going during the week if you like a little more solitude, but otherwise, it's a great destination for families and anyone newer to backpacking. There are loads of campsites in the first two miles, and all of those are right off Salmon River.
Attachments
IMG_5329.JPG
IMG_5326.JPG
Good-sized parking lot. Probably wise to arrive a little early on weekends. At 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, it was about half full.
IMG_5330.JPG
IMG_5336.JPG
IMG_5338.JPG
Obligatory bridge photo. There are two of these bridges. Second one went over a pretty babbling brook.
IMG_5341.JPG
Wilderness registration at 2 miles. Happy to find a working pen!
IMG_5344.JPG
IMG_5352.JPG
IMG_5357.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG
My tent playing peek a boo? Great campsite at Goat Creek.
IMG_5369.JPG
Hammock = bliss
IMG_5366.JPG
I saw a couple patches of whatever this is. Some type of fungus I assume. It was pretty cool.

UPDATE: Thanks to Bobcat, I now know this is a gnome plant (Hemitomes congestum). Per Bobcat, and various descriptions elsewhere, "There is a connection to fungi as well: gnome plants are fungus parasites." I feel very lucky to see it!
IMG_5370.JPG