Devil's peak 16 July 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
chiefWright

Devil's peak 16 July 2017

Post by chiefWright » July 20th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Punchlist:

Well graded switchbacks thru dense forest: check.
Lush summer understory: check.
Peekaboo views thru forested ridges: check.
Pocket glades with wildflowers: check.
Broad views at high point: check.
Dragonflies & amphibians at upland lake: check.
Truckin' out thru a classic cascade river canyon: check.

Followed the field guide route without diversion. What's not to like about this lovely loop? Well, NFS still hasn't cleared the blowdown on Hunchback between the Green Canyon intersection and Devil's peak, but hey, this is the Cascades we're talking about. Go put on leather boots with Vibram soles, pack some leather gloves, and do some real hiking...

Otherwise, the trail is in fine shape. Green Canyon 793A is good, some blowdown with increasing elevation. Already commented on blowdown-A-rama on Hunchback 793 between 793A junction & Devils Peak. Trees around Devils peak continue to grow and obscure views. Kinda brushy on the upper part of Kinzel 665, but not PITA. Salmon River 742 from 665 to TH is freeway.

Ruby having fun on the way up Green Canyon.
upbound.jpg
One of many blowdown...
Squirrel? Squirrel?
hunchback meadow.jpg
Pretty.
Won't need to worry about wilderness, NFS is so underfunded it's all reverting!
blowdownOrama.jpg
More blowdown
Never met a Hiker she doesn't love...
love.jpg
As much as we love hiking....
love.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Park Butte & Jeff & Ruby
Jeff from Devils.jpg
Worth it!
Lovely Lake
Kinzel.jpg
Iconic...

bushwhacker

Re: Devil's peak 16 July 2017

Post by bushwhacker » July 25th, 2017, 5:24 am

Thanks for taking the time to write this report up. I was trying to think of a good hike that I hadn't done five times already this year and saw your report so did it on Monday. I had forgotten what a great trail Green Canyon was. Doing it early in the morning you get most of the uphill done in the shade. And yeah it would sure be nice to see Hunchback get logged out at some point. Must have added a half an hour to the trip climbing over all those trees.

Side note: A number of folks had 'no Northwest Forest Pass' tickets at the Salmon River TH when I got back so don't for get your pass if you plan to do this hike.