Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trips » Trip Reports

Post subject: Mt. Jefferson north ridge to Marion County high point
 Post Posted: July 15th, 2017, 5:36 pm 

This was my second trip to this oddly placed county high point but a friend was in the area and asked if I wanted to join him on what he hoped would be his completion climbing to the highest point of all 36 counties of Oregon. On July 9th, 2005 I did this hike in cold, cloudy and windy conditions but the forecast was excellent for the planned day so I enthusiastically agreed.

We both car-camped at the TH and got an unusually (for me) early start: 6:24 am!

An hour and a half later, we got our first views of our goal:

We hopped across Whitewater Creek on the rocks (why isn't there a bridge here?) turned onto the PCT a short distance later. After just a quarter mile on the PCT we cut right, into the forest. We immediately ran into snow:

In the forest at only 5,700':

The ridge was steep in places:

Both steepness and snow cover alternated from a little to a lot:

As the trees thinned out, we started getting some spectacular views. This next group of photos were taken between 6,500' and 7,000':

The last of the struggling trees were at 7,400' but the views just kept on coming: Here's Jefferson Park from the 7,600' level:

The route was getting more difficult with large and loose rocks to navigate:

Our goal - the HP of Marion County OR, elevation, 9,000':

The view looking the other way:

All the photos are here:
http://www.fototime.com/users/[email protected]/Marion%20County%20high%20point%20-%209,000%20foot%20level%20on%20Jefferson%27s%20north%20ridge

A pretty good day in the woods! 14.4 miles 5,031 EG.

-Don

Post subject: Re: Mt. Jefferson north ridge to Marion County high point
 Post Posted: July 15th, 2017, 6:37 pm 

Wow! Excellent!

I woulda tapped out early! Look at bear point way down there, and I thought I did well getting up that thing!

Cool pics, I think that would make for some sweet night shots!

Post subject: Re: Mt. Jefferson north ridge to Marion County high point
 Post Posted: July 17th, 2017, 11:22 am 

Don,

A few years ago (OK, a lot of years ago!), Fran & I went up that ridge, probably up to around 7,000 feet, where the going got rougher. I don't remember the specifics, except that it was pretty awesome looking down on the glacier & the views out over the rest of the world.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Board index » Trips » Trip Reports